Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Venice, CA; 2004 XC70, Silver (AKA: Silvia)

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    If you were in PA I could do everything, Switchblade and labor for under $200 (but you're not. sorry!)
    Thanks JRL, That would have been awesome. Cant believe how costly and difficult it's turning out be here in So Cal but still have hopes I can find a local place to get cheaper programming that doesn't cost 1/4 value of the car. If I can find cheap programming then I may order a laser cut key from you.

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    Another option if you still have a valet key and just want a remote - purchase the triangle shaped remote (2001-2003?) and have it programmed.

cheap remote sold here, it might work
    Thank you Hoonk, I have read a little about that and was wondering whats needs to be done exactly? Would I have to dig out the transponder out of the valet key and glue it close to the ignition switch so both work? That would a nice option to have. Does that also mean I need the pricey programming done (just remote) to get the triangle shape remote to work?

My existing switch blade key has the typical broken switch blade and the buttons do not work, pretty much only works as a valet key which is a total pain.

I've benched tested it, the circuit boards micro switches do work properly so I sent it to fellow member "tpsells" to repair it for a very reasonable fee.
    Last edited by silverstar; 02-18-2018 at 12:28 PM.
    2004 Volvo, Silver XC70, OSD, 113,000 mi; AKA: Silvia

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    If you were in PA I could do everything, Switchblade and labor for under $200 (but you're not. sorry!)
    JRL - I'm close enough to PA. I only have one valet key and the dealer wants $180 to cut a key and program it. My understand is the switchblade is not an option since I have none. But is there a way I can get another valet key for a reasonable sum?
    2003 XC70

Quote Originally Posted by silverstar View Post
    Would I have to dig out the transponder out of the valet key and glue it close to the ignition switch so both work?

Does that also mean I need the pricey programming done (just remote) to get the triangle shape remote to work?
    I'm not quite sure what you are asking - use your existing valet key, buy a cheap remote, have the remote programmed at the dealer, and end up with what looks like in the attached picture. I thought you just wanted a remote that works.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	key.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	4.6 KB 
ID:	8480

The key program download and the remote download are 2 different things. Each software download is About $20 if my memory serves me correctly. Add what ever time a dealer would charge (should be less less than an hour) for the labor to program the remote, so should cost you $50(cheap remote), $20(software) + labor. Usually takes less than 1/2 hour to program a remote, perhaps the dealer will only charge you 1/2 hour time.

Try buying a new key for an Audi, Mercedes or Japanese car it will not come cheap.
    MY01 Ocean Race XC70 Blue/Silver

My dealer said it is $450 for a new key. Big ouch with that. But they threw in key coverage for 6 years 100,000 miles with the deal. Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    they threw in key coverage for 6 years 100,000 miles
    What goes wrong with a key other than the battery goes dead or you break the plastic due to abuse?.(would they cover abuse?) Is that more or less valuable than the scratched wheel coverage they try to sell you with a new or used car.
    Last edited by hoonk; 03-08-2018 at 05:13 PM.

Default Still doing keys?

If I buy a key from the guy that said he could do it for $100 how do i get it to connect to my car? Can I download the software and program it myself? Anybody in Cincinnati?

Quote Originally Posted by volvotanager View Post
    If I buy a key from the guy that said he could do it for $100 how do i get it to connect to my car? Can I download the software and program it myself? Anybody in Cincinnati?
    No, only the dealer has the programing ability to match it to your car, place good key with transponder within the steering housing as close to the ignition antenna ring, then any ordinary inexpensive cut key will operate the ignition system
    Last edited by AKAMick; 08-11-2018 at 01:06 PM.

Thanks. I only got one key with the car so will have to buy 2 more remotes. Ack!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123