Default Headlight Compatibility

Hi
    Was looking for information on headlight compatibility as I would like to replace our 06 headlights with those from
    an 01-04 model.
    Seem to remember a lot of discussion here and elsewhere about this and the related concerns, but have not had much success searching for it now.
    Anyone here have personal experience or remember where all those past discussions could be located.
    Thanks

Are you talking about replacing the entire sealed headlamp assy? Or, just moving bulbs?

If you stated the reason for wanting to do this swap, it would likely promote helpful discussion of alternatives.

Yes, I would like to swap the entire headlight unit.
    Physically, looks like I can make it work, my concern would be the electronics, error messages etc.

Quote Originally Posted by conniecast View Post
    Physically, looks like I can make it work, my concern would be the electronics, error messages etc.
    I picked up a pair from a junkyard. There's a little wiring work to do because the bulbs are different between the styles. and in the JY ones I saw a plastic bracket that goes on top (still avail from Volvo) is an issue. On the ones I pulled it had become brittle and broke. I have not dropped the bumper to investigate further as to fit. I like the idea of a glass lens. I think the optics in the newer (plastic) ones may be better, though. Not sure. I am thinking of offering them to you, I don't know when I'll get back to this.

So I am thinking of reconditioning my current ones. Doing the recon right is more than just a notion. Look like you need to pull the headlights, buff them clean and smooth, then coat them with an appropriate coating. Most of the OTC coatings don't look 'appropriate' to me although they should more or less work per label directions. The one I have in mind to use is https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BG22UC/, see specs at https://www.semproducts.com/refinish...m-uv-clearcoat, this stuff requires a UV cure to cross link the polymer. That said, once done correctly I won't have to redo it anytime soon. I think I need to build a UV light chamber (simpler than it sounds), though, to do it right. You'd think setting the work in the sun would give a good cure, but weather affects the UV amount somewhat and most of these coatings require some intensity to crosslink correctly. And in any event it does not solve the time crunch problem.

Quote Originally Posted by conniecast View Post
    If the original ones are halogen and you replace them with halogens, you'll be fine.
    It's when you go halogen to HID or mix technologies like that you start having issues.

If you swap in HIDs, then you want to drill the shunt to eliminate the headlight out error.

Supposedly the connectors are different in the facelift cars, so you might need to get the adapters (Eurosport tuning has them) to make it easier for you.

You do want to go OEM on these and not any of the TYC or other aftermarket ****. I was told on the Candlepower forums that the E-code glass ones pre-facelift are actual Cibie CSR headlights custom made for Volvo with superior focus to the US glass headlights.

Personally I went the lazier route and picked up the facelift S60 headlights (OEM obviously) from Europe. They plugged right in AND I get the H7 bulbs instead of the H11 or whatever the domestic ones stick us with.

I have the part numbers listed here;
    http://www.robdiesel.com/wordpress/2...70-headlights/

Is this the type of adapter you are referring to?
    https://store.ijdmtoy.com/Heavy-Duty...ic-adapter.htm