We are considering purchasing a 2012 XC70 FWD with 64k miles. The dealer told us about an extended service contract, which permits work to be done at any ASE certified shop, but all work requires prior authorization. The dealer offered the plan at no markup because they wanted to close the deal Saturday night and go home. I actually decided to do nothing and research these plans before closing the deal. My last Volvo was a 1995 940 and I had it until 2014. It was never driven great distances, with final mileage being 129,000. Beginning in 2013, it had a mystery issue with starting, and the shop I took it to couldn't diagnose the issue, so the bus and walking became my main modes of transport. I was having major financial issues related to a medical crisis, so I couldn't afford to take it for additional diagnostics elsewhere or replace it. Living where temps hit over 100 degrees with 100% humidity, it was a terrible experience. So, now I'm getting my first car since 2014. All I can think about is the costly repairs I did cover in my 940, including the AC compressor, fuel pump, alternators, batteries, etc. I recall living without AC for a year after college, because the compressor repair was just out of my budget. Are Volvos really unreliable or is what I experienced normal? Has anyone purchased an extended warranty, and if so, what are your thoughts? We are only buying a Volvo because my medical condition causes severe, intractable muscle spasms and the Volvo seats are the least painful for me. I've literally looked at almost every other car out there before going back to Volvo. I just wish I could have found an R Design V70. I am amazed at the comfort of the R Design seats, at least in the XC60, but they are out of our budget.

Thanks!