Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by avrjon View Post
    I hope... it absolutely acts like a faulty fuel pump but I started to think maybe it's something else which causes this.
    Sorry, I don't mean to beat a dead horse but as I said previously - especially now that 2 fuel pumps have been put in and the problem clearly has not been fixed -

"You might want to have him put your old fuel pump back in, refund your money and have the car towed to someone that could diagnose the problem without spending ~$930 first to replace a part that was not bad (maybe paying an hour for his diagnostic time would be fair - you just want a second opinion )

If the car stays where it is - you will be out that $930 that did not fix the problem.

You should at least get your old fuel pump back so the next shop can put it back in and find the real problem. Then give the new one back to the first shop and ask for a refund."

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    Sorry, I don't mean to beat a dead horse but as I said previously - especially now that 2 fuel pumps have been put in and the problem clearly has not been fixed -

"You might want to have him put your old fuel pump back in, refund your money and have the car towed to someone that could diagnose the problem without spending ~$930 first to replace a part that was not bad (maybe paying an hour for his diagnostic time would be fair - you just want a second opinion )

If the car stays where it is - you will be out that $930 that did not fix the problem.

You should at least get your old fuel pump back so the next shop can put it back in and find the real problem. Then give the new one back to the first shop and ask for a refund."

You're absolutely right! I hope my old fuel pump is with them somewhere...

Just wanted to give an update. Apparently the fuel pump control module was broken as well.what an expensive part! I'm glad I didn't have to pay anything extra.

Just wanted to give an update. Apparently the fuel pump control module was broken as well.what an expensive part! I'm glad I didn't have to pay anything extra.
    That's good! Had you known, you can get a guaranteed used PEM from Erie Volvo for a little over $100. Very easy DIY, about as easy as the fuel filter. (I just did the PEM & fuel pump)

2005 XC70 - 50/35 Tint, Yakima Rack

Quote Originally Posted by perkinscl View Post
    That's good! Had you known, you can get a guaranteed used PEM from Erie Volvo for a little over $100. Very easy DIY, about as easy as the fuel filter. (I just did the PEM & fuel pump)
    perkinsci, what were the symptoms that led to you changing the PEM and fuel pump?

avrjon, glad to hear you got your problem resolved!

Sorry, but your fuel pump module was the problem in the first place. It was not "broken as well". Have your mechanic put the original fuel pump back in and refund that cost. (controller ~$365 plus a couple hours labor (Being nice with that 2 hours) = a lot less than the ~$930 you spent on the wrong diagnosis!)

I'm not trying to be an ass - I have owned a Volvo repair shop for 38 years, been in the car repair business for 45 years and hate hearing stories of people getting ripped off for things they do not need. I have been crucified for leaving dirty fingerprints on cars but I still get really pissed when I hear stories where someone pays for an expensive repair that is not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by goldxc70 View Post
    perkinsci, what were the symptoms that led to you changing the PEM and fuel pump?

avrjon, glad to hear you got your problem resolved!
    I had an intermittent check engine light. Scanned with VIDA and got the code was: ECM-2900 (Fuel Pressure - Faulty Signal).

2005 XC70 - 50/35 Tint, Yakima Rack

Quote Originally Posted by Astro14 View Post
    Yeah...this clearly isn't a Volvo shop. "full scanner" means, what, exactly?

There are lots of requirements for the ECU to energize the fuel pump. Pulling the hose may, or may not, have diagnosed the pump. VIDA tells you the steps to diagnose and reads the ECU parameters.

A "full scanner" doesn't do either.
    I can attest to this. My independent shop has a "full scanner" but still can't diagnose my issue. His suggestion is to start replacing things which I'm not happy to do for a number of reasons.

[QUOTE=avrjon;195235]
    Quote Originally Posted by Astro14 View Post
    Yeah...this clearly isn't a Volvo shop. "full scanner" means, what, exactly?

There are lots of requirements for the ECU to energize the fuel pump. Pulling the hose may, or may not, have diagnosed the pump. VIDA tells you the steps to diagnose and reads the ECU parameters.

A "full scanner" doesn't do either.[/

That's good to know, thank you very much for your feedback. I'll go and see if they were able solve the problem.
    Is it cold or warmed up when you have the running problems? I'm wondering if you have a sensor dying or lying.

Is it cold or warmed up when you have the running problems? I'm wondering if you have a sensor dying or lying.
    My issue is consistently when warm and less than 1/8 tank of gas. Even with less than 1/8 tank, it's OK for short trips until it warms up again. So it could be something like the pump is overheating and then failing intermittently when there isn't enough gas in the tank to cool it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast