Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2005 XC 70 potential fuel pump issue

Quote Originally Posted by goldxc70 View Post
    I can attest to this. My independent shop has a "full scanner" but still can't diagnose my issue. His suggestion is to start replacing things which I'm not happy to do for a number of reasons.
    Perhaps I should find a Volvo guy in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    Sorry, but your fuel pump module was the problem in the first place. It was not "broken as well". Have your mechanic put the original fuel pump back in and refund that cost. (controller ~$365 plus a couple hours labor (Being nice with that 2 hours) = a lot less than the ~$930 you spent on the wrong diagnosis!)

I'm not trying to be an ass - I have owned a Volvo repair shop for 38 years, been in the car repair business for 45 years and hate hearing stories of people getting ripped off for things they do not need. I have been crucified for leaving dirty fingerprints on cars but I still get really pissed when I hear stories where someone pays for an expensive repair that is not needed.
    No, you're right absolutely. It's just that when he says also the pump was faulty, there's not much I can do. I don't have anything to prove since they got rid of my old pump. Only thing I can do is to change this mechanic at this point. I wish they had kept my old pump though, then things would have been different.
    Last edited by avrjon; 03-18-2017 at 04:59 PM.

This! It's frustrating when you see this happen to people. I brought mine in for an inspection at a Volvo dealer once, it passed but they said they had to replace a headlight bulb (which wasn't out when I brought it in). $36 installed. Okayyyyyyy...which was it? The drivers side. Interestingly I replaced it just the week before. When I told them that I got quizzed on my skills on lightbulb replacement (don't get them dirty, wear latex gloves, don't touch the bulb, etc.). Yeah, I get it. So I chalked it up to faulty Sylvania bulb and drove off with my trust new Volvo OEM bulb (likely made in same factory with OSRAM). Next night I come out to find the headlight out again. Next morning I take a deeper look. The wiring harness was melted, common for these cars. THAT was the problem, not the $36 bulb. Thing is, it's really hard to miss the meltage and pulling the connector on/off. Perhaps the tech sees it so much they just don't see it anymore

Quote Originally Posted by avrjon View Post
    Perhaps I should find a Volvo guy in this case.
    The problem is that an independent shop in Canada can't afford VIDA. Plus, if they use an unlicensed version, they run the risk of Volvo making life difficult. Some indy shops have "arrangements" with a Volvo dealer and get testing done at the dealship.

Quote Originally Posted by avrjon View Post
    No, you're right absolutely. It's just that when he says also the pump was faulty, there's not much I can do. I don't have anything to prove since they got rid of my old pump. Only thing I can do is to change this mechanic at this point. I wish they had kept my old pump though, then things would have been different.
    This is always tough to sort out after the fact. Even in cases where they produce the "faulty part", you have no way of knowing if that part came from your car. Another excuse I've heard is that they return the faulty part for core discount. On a positive note, you can be happy that you've got a new fuel pump fitted.
    Last edited by goldxc70; 03-21-2017 at 07:48 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234