Default Replace or reseal brake booster vacuum pump

Our 2011 XC90 has a leak from the brake booster vacuum pump. While calling around for quotes on resealing it, one mechanic said they almost always leak again very soon after resealing. He recommended that we replace it.

Any truth to this?

Thanks,
    Mike

I've seen a video on you tube on the rebuilding of these pumps. It appears to be a common problem and Volvo has a kit p/n 31401556 for the repair. The pump on my 2008 xc90 is leaking and I will be doing the repair within the next couple of weeks,it does not seem to be that difficult a job.

Quote Originally Posted by seattlemike View Post
    One mechanic said they almost always leak again very soon after resealing. He recommended that we replace it. Any truth to this?
    No, but there's plenty of truth to mechanics trying to sell you a $400 part instead of a $40 fix.

Quote Originally Posted by sjonnie View Post
    No, but there's plenty of truth to mechanics trying to sell you a $400 part instead of a $40 fix.
    As a shop owner yes I agree - some shops oversell work. Either through incompetence, bad diagnosis, being stubborn or being unfamiliar with the repair the wrong repair is done sometimes. But I disagree with the $40 fix - Volvo wants about $63 for the seal kit and I always try to reseal (labor charge involved also) the pump first. Have not had one come back leaking - yet (have resealed about 40)

$40 plus same labor to remove and replace......

Tell him to break it open and see if there is any scoring or damage that would stop the new seal functioning properly
    14xc60 3.0T
    03xc70 (Killed 12/16)
    1998 v70 (retired)

Sure, Volvo sell a complete kit - complete with new bolts Chances are it's the $10 O-Ring between the pump and the block that has failed because that's where the most heat is, it's a 30min replacement. So my original point stands, why replace a $400 part with a new one when it's the failure of a $10 O-ring that is the problem?