Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Overland to Morocco.
    Winter 2016-2017

Stage 8C – Tiznit City strolling around night time

On our last day/night in Tiznit we went back into the city for a look around at night, something we had not done before ……

One of the town squares that seems to come alive at night……

‘Yes’ this is a shop but how you keep a stock on what you have is difficult to work out! ……

The main street still going strong at 20:00hrs……

While the Patisserie (Right of centre) had a constant flow of customers!......

Then the rain shower started so we headed back to the campsite…..

On the road tomorrow to Sidi Ifni......

Good night……

Overland to Morocco.
    Winter 2016-2017

Stage 9 – Back on the road from Tiznit to Sidi Ifni

After a rather heavy downpour last night we packed up this morning and headed for Sidi Ifni for our 4th visit to this town in our 5 trips here as 2 years ago the campsite was washed away after being hit by a 3 meter wall of water that came down the river after a torrential storm, now the owner is rebuilding……

We set off past the outside of the Medina in Tiznit……

Then it is back on the open road……

New bridge which in this case is higher than the one that got washed away......

When the river has water in it this is the route it takes……

Up the hill then past the old houses……

Very green countryside due to all the recent rain……

As we come to the next new bridge which is also elevated in relation to the old bridge, we can see part of the ‘old road’ as it goes off to the right to join the new road, while a crash barrier prevents any access on the other side of the river ……

As we then get back to the coast……

While we had to manoeuvre around a small diversion as we came to the bottom of this hill, the ‘new road & bridge’ was in this case below the ‘old road & bridge’ that had been washed away by the river! .....

Coming into the town of Mirleft, we can see the diversion here and how the bridge & road was once again swept away by the river during the storm……

A new ‘Souk’ started 4 years ago and still not yet complete, but it is quite a way out of the town......

A water well, at the side of the road, but it seems you have to supply your own bucket!......

A group of Moroccan ‘Sunday Cyclists’ out for a run but to be honest they could have kept a better line on their side of the road as they rolled along, as the one in black on the left was all over the road, and took no notice when I announced our presence behind!......

Sidi Ifni, town outer limit……

Police check point ahead, slow down and 'STOP' if the road sign says so, if you don’t it’s an instant fine!......

After a little bit further along the road as we go down the next hill Sidi Ifni appears in front of us……

As we get onto the campsite and start setting up, I get the bikes off the top of ‘Flamenco Red’ and we get a surprise!
    The insect we spotted on the top bar of the seat has moved to the rear tyre on my good lady’s bike and stayed there for the trip from Tiznit to Sidi Ifni hitching a ride!....
    It was then helped off the tyre and into the greenery on the campsite……

As we could plainly hear the waves on the beach as the sea looked a bit ‘angry’ as we came along the coast road, we will go and take a look later……

Overland to Morocco.
    Winter 2016-2017

Stage 9A – Changes in Sidi Ifni

Firstly the campsite, that goes by the name of ‘Gran Canaria’ which was very nearly completely destroyed in the flood……

The Towers and wall along the main road survived while about 80% of the inside wall was washed away……

The campsite entrance, now on the side leads into the campground that has now been levelled out as last year it was just a layer of hardcore on the ground that in places was very uneven ……

While the ‘facilities block’ remained intact after the flood, it has been completely cleaned up inside now with HOT water being supplied to a ‘Dog Bath’ on the side of the building!…...

On the right of the next picture you should be able to see 2 Concrete Posts that along with all the others will shortly start to have the new perimeter wall built between them replacing the wall that got washed away……

Then the black matting that you can see on the right hand side of the next picture will be taken away as the new wall is built between the concrete posts, that have been made in place and not brought in as posts and then put in the ground……

Next we went off to see what the ‘ROAR’ was coming from the ocean at the beach……

As we looked out to sea we could see the waves being formed a good way out, then getting bigger as they rolled in towards the beach……

With the wind whipping the spray off the top of the waves as they rolled over……

While at the top of the beach we see different properties……

With this Ostrich in a special area that is inside a campsite called El Barco, which is right on the seafront, and can provide some very nice coatings of ‘Salt Sea Spray’ for your outfit if you would like to stay and partake……

The shoreline ‘Promenade’ with the last pitch and camper on the campsite visible above the ‘Prom’……

As we then made our way into the town centre up a quite steep hill, we see this newly constructed concrete retaining wall that has been built to hold back…..

the very high earth & rock embankment behind it, which had started to crumble and slide down into the road ……

While at the top of the road on the other side which was the old airfield, today is Market Day……

Nuts and Spices……

By then it was time for an evening meal in this Café near the Bus Terminus……

While the sign outside simply said……

While we could smell the aroma, after about 10 minutes as it wasn’t quite ready when we arrived, we then got 2 bowls of the very delicious Hariri Soup, which is served with a small plate of Dates……
    While at £1 per serving, ($1.30, €1.19) with a drink also costing no more, it must be one of the cheapest evening meals on the planet, while being very tasty and filling……

As we also indulged in having a typical scene from Morocco painted on the satellite dish, that we think looks very nice……

After a very heavy rainstorm here that lasted around 20 minutes the Internet Connection both on the campsite and with the Maroc Dongle ‘disappeared’ for around 30 minutes.
    It was re-instated for a short while, but has now ‘died’ again so at the moment it looks like there will be no update taking place tonight!......

Good night!......

Overland to Morocco.
    Winter 2016-2017

Stage 9B – The Sidi Ifni Old Cable Car

When we first came over in 2012 to Morocco and Sidi Ifni we saw in the Port the remains of the towers that were used to hold the Cable Car Transport that was used in the town to get items and people out to ships that could not enter the shallow water in the Port.
    We also saw a couple of pictures in the then new Museum of how the Cable Car operated.
    While the Museum now has a 1st Floor added the Cable Car will never be rebuilt as you will see from the additional pictures I took lower down the page when we got up really close to the buildings and structure ……

It its heyday the Cable Car looked like this…..

But firstly we had to get to the site by the Port on our Bikes as the pedalling exercise was badly needed!

As we pass the seafront Radar Station…...

With the coastline going off to the South and the very large concrete sea defenders down in the Port……

Swinging our view around we come into the Port and what look like two ‘rings’ in the water that are a ‘Fish Farm’……

Just before we see the Cable Car buildings we take a look back to the town and see how it is spreading out around the old airport……

As we then swing around and see the old Cable Car Towers….

With the gantry and one of the now disused buildings at the place you checked in…..

The Cable Car main embarkation station, and where additional ‘items’ would be attached and hung underneath the passenger gondolas……

The main building looking out towards the deeper water for the ferry boats……

Then we get up on the roof……

As I look down one of the holes in the roof I can see one of the old winding motors..…

Then moving back and right we see the roadway going down into the large yard area where any vehicles for shipping would have been driven, so off we went for a look…..

The no longer in place entrance gate……

While down at the bottom you can stand under the rails that the gondolas ran along ……

While one side of the wall that had been built to stop any entry into the large embarkation building had been pulled down, I went over the bricks and inside, finding parts of the mechanism for moving the gondolas along the rails all now on the floor……

The steel hawsers used to pull the gondolas along were around 3 to 4 inches in diameter……

Not sure what this small gondola would have been used for but it was just lying at the rear of the building ……

While at the back of the building still hanging on the rails are the two gondolas used for transporting foot passengers out to the ships……

The cables used for attaching additional items to the underneath of the gondola are still connected in each corner on this one……

Being part of the history of the town it was quite sad when I asked in the Museum on our way back to find that the pictures we saw in 2012 are no longer available to see and there is no history of the Cable Car and what it did either.

Good night!......

good to see the green in those picture really welcome at this time of year
    wishing you both a interesting Christmas and New year
    cheers
    Hank

Quote Originally Posted by Da Tow'd View Post
    good to see the green in those picture really welcome at this time of year
    wishing you both a interesting Christmas and New year
    cheers
    Hank
    Hello Hank!

I guess when you have 'white out' with the Snow, then the 'green' makes it a little warmer!

Thank you for your kind wishes which are reciprocated across the Pond to you and yours.

We will be having hopefully a restful time here in Sidi Ifni over the festive season before we then move on away from the coast and head inland.

Best wishes

Overland to Morocco.
    Winter 2016-2017

Stage 9C – Our Bus Trip to Tiznit

We thought we would try using one of the local Buses to make the journey from just outside the campsite here in Sidi Ifni back to Tiznit which is a journey of around 50 Miles and should take around 90 minutes……

So off we went after getting on and paying the fare of 40 MAD (£3.20) (€3.76) for 2 tickets we were on our way to Tiznit……

As we got onto the bus we could see that some food had been spilled under a few of the seats, so the driver made a detour as we got close to Tiznit and pulled into a garage that had pressure washing equipment in place…..

As we then saw one of the garage people take the high pressure water hose inside the bus and wash out the inside, including a few of the seats!......

Then the bus driver reversed out of the ‘Lavage Bay’ and put the bus on a ramp pointing down so the excess water from the pressure wash would drain out, while the man from the garage wiped over the wet seats, which were made of solid plastic, while the bus was made by Volvo!…...

As we arrived in Tiznit around 30 minutes late it was time for a bit of lunch, and from our 1st floor window and table we had this view albeit slightly restricted of the street outside……

Lunch over it was time for a stroll around and into a part we had not been which was a small Souk, with some nice architecture…

With this larger building on the opposite side of the alleyway……

Then over to a nice Café-Restaurant-Boulangerie-Patisserie for a coffee and small cake….

With the cake selection inside you really were spoiled for choice!......

After finishing a very nice cake and coffee we went into another Souk and saw this Pottery Shop with some rather nice vases for sale, but no room for us to buy one and carry it with us!……

While around the corner was some really nice looking Fruit & Vegetables on another stall……

Then a bit further along are the clothes shops with a rather nice ladies brightly coloured Berber dress in the middle of the picture……

An electrically powered Argan Oil making machine that grinds the Argan sliced nuts that are in the plastic bowls alongside into a paste which is then pressed to extract the Argan Oil, while the 'pressed' paste can be seen on the right of the picture while we wondered if this was used for fuel or fed to the animals, as it is certainly not just thrown away!..…

As we come out of the Souk into a rather quiet side street……

Meanwhile, out on the main road, if you need a Plastic Bowl, Box, Bin, Step or Seat, then this is the shop to come to……

While these two shops sell la kinds of ‘Electrical Home Appliances’ but we are not sure how you get into the shops to buy anything as we couldn’t see the entrance door!......

The main Mosque in Tiznit……

Then we spotted the ‘Find of the day’!
    There were 4 Draughts Boards (I think some people refer to them as Chequers) painted on top of a low circular concrete wall.
    All 4 ‘boards’ were in use but the ‘Draughts’ instead of being circular pieces of white or blackwood, were in this country of ‘Re-cycling’ Red Coca Cola and Blue Water Bottle Tops, while another ‘board’ was using Plastic Green & Yellow Bottle Tops!.....

While the games were fascinating to watch as the rules were the same as if ‘normal’ wooden Draughts were being used, I had to decline the offer to play a game against the gent who was clearly the champion, as I did not wish to embarrass myself by being easily beaten!......

Back on the Bus for the return trip to the campsite in Sidi Ifni where we got off right outside the campsite entrance!.....

Good night!......

Overland to Morocco.
    Winter 2016-2017

Stage 9D – A bike trip us the river in Sidi Ifni

In November 2014 a storm sent a 2 meter wall of water down the river and through the valley in Sidi Ifni, so I set off today on my bike to go along the river to try and get some idea of what happened……

With the repair and upgrade work still going on in the town, taking the road out I found that I was going over ‘Roadworks’ about every 100 yards, that had been filled in with soil and just left!.......

Finally getting out and away from the town I came to one of the bridges on the left in the next picture that had been washed away as the wall of water hit it, while the new road and bridge is on the right, while the river runs along the hillside on the left …..

A little bit further on is the next new bridge and road, while the old bridge on the left which appears to be intact is not closed off but transport other than bikes and people walking use the new road and bridge on the right......

Being ‘lightweight’ I then went over the old bridge which gave me a view of the new bridge and road…...

As I then turned left just after getting over the old bridge and onto the piste path alongside the river bed……

As I then pass what looked like a 10 Tonne Truck and a Mechanical Digger digging rocks and soil from the river bed……

I then going further along started to get some idea of the width of the river at this point which was about twice as wide as the point where the old bridge is……

As I then met these 3 donkeys who were hobbled and doing there best to walk along the piste with their handler……

As they were then followed by this little fella who was not hobbled, and spent a few minutes rolling in the dirt before getting back on his feet and running to catch the others up!……

But with the clear view you then get to see how wide the river bed is and the bends that are in it ..….

This place built into the rock face survived the flood……

More excavating of the riverbed, but where the material goes I have yet to find out!..…

Sadly this place didn’t survive as the wall of water hit it, the front wall caved in followed by the collapse of the roof……

While these buildings seemed to have something to do with the fresh water system……

The guys ‘Up the Electricity Pole’ were just finishing off installing the new mains electricity pylon ……

As the ‘thick grey line’ in the next picture is the old one that collapsed during the flood while interestingly it collapsed pointing into the flood......

While on the other side of the riverbed at a safe height are these Bee Hives……

The next two pictures should be joined together as it looks like there is a tributary that curves away to the left and comes into the main river......

While the main riverbed curves away to the right.....

It seems like the buildings up on the bank and away from the force of the flood survived……

Try to imagine 3ft of water hurtling along in the next few pictures……

As I started to make my way back I saw something in the rock face……

Then zooming in I see a steel door built into the rock face……

As I rode passed a building I could just see through the trees and over the fence surrounding the place that there was a large vegetable garden at the rear and the Donkeys were being used to plough a section of the vegetable garden……

Then a bit further along I came to what looked like levels that were ‘Man Made’ and had been ploughed ready for crops to be planted, with steps to get up to the different levels……

Then I was back with a view of the ‘old’ and now more or less disused bridge……

Getting back on the road and heading back to Sidi Ifni I could then see water in the river……

While this section of the road had survived and actually had a ‘Bicycle Lane’ on it!......

As the river turned off to the left, there was this rather large pool on the right of the road with a Yellow Water Bowser sat on the back of a truck as a pump was pumping water into it from the river pool……

While the two buildings on the far side of the river didn’t survive, the steel door of one remained in place……

As I then saw this pipe going up the hillside, which was extracting water from the river to the building on top of the hill……

While a few yards further on the ‘Cycle Lane’ ran out as the river washed away the road at this point as it went off around the right hand bend……

Back to the outskirts of Sidi Ifni and the ‘Lumpy/Bumpy’ aftermath in the road after the ‘roadworks’ have finished……

As our campsite starts filling up after Christmas as more and more Campers and their owners arrive to spend at least 3 months and possibly up to 6 months ‘Sunbathing’!......

Good night!......

Overland to Morocco.
    Winter 2016-2017

Stage 9E – Our last day in Sidi Ifni

Started off with a walk down to the beach as it was coming up to low water and having seen the Mussel Beds I quite fancied some fresh Mussels for lunch……

While after a 15 minute walk along the beach, I was literally in the thick of them!.......

As were a number of the ladies from the town as there is a couple of stalls in the Fish Market that offer mussels for sale, that are already cooked and their shells are removed…..

While away from the Mussel Harvesters I saw these other two ladies who had long metal rods in there hand with a hook fashioned into the end that was being pushed under large stones in the rock pools.

They were ‘fishing’ for Calamari, as I saw when I asked if I could have a look inside the sack that one of the ladies had in her other hand …...

As the ladies moved across the ocean floor, just after I took the next picture and put my mobile phone away after taking the picture, the lady ‘hooked’ a Calamari that must have been 2 feet across the width of it’s outstretched tentacles! While I had no chance of getting the mobile phone out to take another picture before it was unceremoniously dropped into her sack, even though the tentacles resisted her efforts of getting it in……

While the image in the next picture was of one of two men who were out in the sea also looking for Calamari……

Having then picked the quantity I wanted I made my way back, cleaned & cooked the Mussels, then shared them with the two men on the campsite who run the place as one of them is here on site 7/7/24hrs while the other man is here 7/7/8hrs . The Mussels were really nice and the guys were very grateful……

Then having sorted out a couple of jobs that needed doing and also getting some groceries in, the day had flown over, so it was time to take a look at our last sunset on the beach……

As the Sun then finally dipped below the waves I watched this couple on their beach stroll with their dog before I headed back to the campsite for dinner and to start getting ready for our departure tomorrow ..….

Back on the road tomorrow to Guelmim

Good night!......

Overland to Morocco.
    Winter 2016-2017

Stage 10 – Sidi Ifni to Guelmim

Up and off by 09-30hrs this morning while it was very nice to roll along the very quiet road between Sidi Ifni & Guelmim while enjoying the nice scenery.......

Yet after a long time with no rain, there is still water in the river!…..

The new ‘Crash Barrier’ has been fitted, while as we went past and looked left, the ‘old one’ had been dumped into the gulley down below!……

As we come to a Dam on another river…..

But there is no water behind it!..….

As we continue up the hill and through the village with ‘Flamenco Red’ ‘growling’ nicely as we roll along!......

Slow down for the Shepherd and their flock so we do not startle any of the sheep and goats, which is appreciated……

As we reach the outskirts of Guelmim……

As the town ‘Gate’ is shortly reached……

As we then reach the centre of the town……

Left hand turn just up ahead, so we slow down…..

What we didn’t see was this ‘Monster’ in front of the camper who wanted to do a U turn on the traffic island to go back up the road we came down except the ‘Monster’ could not make it and had to reverse which caused traffic mayhem as ‘Driver Patience’ can sometimes be lacking over here!......

Road clear while the Marjane Supermarket is a couple of minutes away……

Through the Police Road Check and the Marjane is off to the left as we approach the traffic island…….

While we see that there is now a Fuel Station here alongside the Supermarket, but unlike the UK, there is no discount or lower price for the fuel……

Fill up with a few groceries and non alcoholic liquids then we are back on the road after a serious ‘lightening’ of the wallet at the Marjane to our next campsite which we have been to before and are expected by Hassan the owner….

Good night!......