Thread: Need transmission adaptation mode walkthrough

Default Need transmission adaptation mode walkthrough

I have a Vida Dice 2014d setup. Car is a 2005 XC70 with 113k miles. I spent 45 minutes in Vida trying to figure out how to do the transmission counter reset and put it into adaptive mode after changing the valve body. All I found was a write up telling me to press the button on the VCT 2000. Can anyone walk me through how to do it? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Copied from an earlier thread -

Quote Originally Posted by Astro14 View Post
    OK - 2 questions:

1. was it put in adapt mode by VIDA (it won't work otherwise)
    2. did you follow the VIDA directions? I re-wrote them in the valve body notes...there is a precise schedule for doing the shift adapts...
    Yes, this is the directions I followed by Vida, and adaptation by Vida.
    it seems like the 2-3 shift is retarding and takes too long to engage.

Control module adaptation
    Print

Control module adaptation
    Activating adaptation mode
    Hint: The following method is for a basic adaptation of the transmission. For more sporty driving styles, the basic adaptation may not give an improved shifting quality. The method can be adapted to cover the engine speeds at which the shift quality problems occur. However you must ensure that the orange/yellow warning lamp lights exactly as with the basic adaptation.
    Note! Always begin with a basic adaptation.
    Connect the VIDA station

Start the engine

Gear selector in position P

Activate “Adaptation Mode”.

Note! Do not switch off the engine.
    Disconnect the VIDA station. Test drive the car as described below.

Start the test drive after the text message is displayed in the combined instrument panel.

The general orange/yellow warning lamp is used during the adaptation as an indicator to show that a target value has been reached. The warning lamp goes out after 2-4 seconds, depending on the type of adaptation that has been carried out.

Test drive description for up-shift adaptation
    Accelerate gently at an engine speed of approximately 1400 rpm up to 4th gear. Hold the accelerator pedal (AP) in a fixed position throughout the acceleration. Stop the car and repeat the procedure until the general orange/yellow warning lamp lights after each shift. A number of accelerations may be required to obtain the correct result.

Note! 5th gear will not be available at this engine speed.
    Carry out another acceleration, but this time up to 5th gear. Raise the engine speed to approximately 1800 rpm. Hold the accelerator pedal (AP) in a fixed position throughout the acceleration. Repeat the procedure until the general orange/yellow warning lamp lights after each shift. A number of accelerations may be required to obtain the correct result

Accelerate again up to 5th gear, but this time raise the engine speed to approximately 2500 rpm. Hold the accelerator pedal (AP) in a fixed position throughout the acceleration. Repeat the procedure until the general orange/yellow warning lamp lights after each shift. A number of accelerations may be required to obtain the correct result.

Note! The transmission control module (TCM) adapts continuously. Not all shifts will be “perfect”. For example, the orange/yellow warning lamp will not light after each shift from 1-2. The lamp only needs to have lit once for each shift at each engine speed to be sure that the adaptation has reached its target value.
    Test drive description for down-shift adaptation
    Drive the car at approximately 70 km/h (45 mph) in 5th gear. Release the accelerator pedal (AP) and brake gently to a standstill

Repeat the procedure until the general orange/yellow warning lamp lights after each downshift. Note that a number of retardations may be required to obtain the correct result. If it is difficult to achieve the correct result: increase or reduce the pressure on the brake pedal.

Description of adaptation of “garage shifting”
    Run the engine at idle speed and hold the brake pedal pressed down. Then move the gear selector to position N. Wait 5 seconds. Move the gear selector to the R position. Wait 5 seconds. Then move the gear selector back to N. The adaptation is complete when the orange/yellow warning lamp lights when the gear selector is in the R position

Run the engine at idle speed and hold the brake pedal pressed down. Then move the gear selector to position N. Wait 5 seconds. Move the gear selector to the D position. Wait 5 seconds. Then move the gear selector back to N. The adaptation is complete when the orange/yellow warning lamp lights when the gear selector is in the D position.

Information for car with “Neutral check”
    When disengagement of clutch C1 is OK, the orange/yellow warning lamp will light when the gear selector is moved to position D and the brake pedal is pressed down. This takes 1-3 seconds.

Description of adaptation of “Neutral check”
    Drive slowly, at approximately 10 km/h (5 mph) with the gear selector in position D. Brake carefully until the car is stationary. Repeat the procedure until the general orange/yellow warning lamp lights after the car has stopped. The position for C1 disengagement has been adapted when the lamp lights

Run the engine at idle speed and hold the brake pedal pressed down. Move the gear selector to position D. Wait approximately 25 seconds until the general orange/yellow warning lamp has lit. When the warning lamp has lit, release the brake pedal and let the car roll slowly forwards. Repeat the procedure until the general orange/yellow warning lamp lights after the brake pedal has been released. The position for C1 engagement has been adapted when the lamp lights.

Note! The general orange/yellow warning lamp will not light each time. The lamp only needs to have lit once for the adaptation to have reached its target value.
    Select Continue.

How do I activate "adaptation mode"? In the vida dice I have it is grayed out and won't let me choose it. What have I done wrong?

Thanks.

I had a few issues with this too. If the diagnostic tab is grey, you may have forgot to click "ok" after you read the vehicle. It is in the bottom right corner. There are some great threads on this, but I would also check out a few youtube videos and take notes. I spent a few hours getting a feel for it.