Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Well when I turn the key & it doesn't start, I hear a (one) click like a solenoid from off key to on-start, I release the key & try again & the click is not there. I did replace the starter last May & the occasional no start is still here.
    I did cycle the shift lever through N & P while holding the key to start & after a minute of this it did start. This was some weeks ago. I did not 100% close the hatch (light-on) one day & a few days later the Batt. was graveyard dead & after I charged it up the no start was gone for about a month....so....sigh here I am again but now the problem is here,this way I can work it, as intermittent problems are difficult. I am thinking a neutral position switch/sensor. Easy enough to get to but not so easy to find the part. I got a U0167 code about "network communication ISO/SAE controlled"

Revision.1 After an overnight batt. disc. I reconnected it & cycled the door/key 3 times & it started....?? Now back to no start. Key ring or PNP I think.
    Last edited by aerobaticsfan; 09-26-2016 at 01:00 AM. Reason: It started

Okay, if by "no start" you mean you're turning the key and you're getting absolutely no crank, just silence, you need to check for a BAD connection between the little solenoid wire and your starter motor. This is a known problem documented on Volvo forums which I'm currently dealing with. If you replaced your starter motor you should know the wire I'm talking about. When you get a "no crank" condition, pop the hood, reach down underneath to the starter motor, and wiggle that small solenoid wire up and down a couple times. Now go see if the engine fires up. This works for me whenever I get the occasional no crank when starting. The connection is not real tight and when I go over enough bumps, railroad tracks, etc. things loosen up. I'd like to get underneath there and really clean things up and make a strong, tight connect but access to the starter is a real bear. Maybe I could lift out the fan housing to get more room to work. Unfortunately, this nuisance started after I replaced my PCV which I think would have been a good time to get at the starter motor with the intake manifold off.

Not sure if this could be your situation but it's easy enough to check the next time you get no crank. Good luck!
    2007 XC70, 206,000 miles
    2002 V70XC, 130,000 miles, parts car

It's also likely that you have multiple issues here.

When the alarm modules failed on my cars, I simply got the warning (and once, a sunroof that wouldn't work). Replacing the modules solved the warning. At no point did I have your start problem.

I believe you have another issue related to your start condition. After checking wires, I would check the immobilizer antenna ring. Looks like this.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...a-ring-9442961
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12