Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

What a long, strange trip this thread is. Yeah, the 2001-2002 buyer's remorse can make people a little hot under the collar. Having just spent about 4-5 weeks repairing my own 01's issues, I get that, but you gotta keep your cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro14 View Post
    Let's talk about the real elephant in the room: 90% of the posters on this forum contribute nothing. They ask questions and then expect other people to reply, giving their time, attention, and expertise.

If you're one of those: a non-contributor, an asker of questions, then you don't get to criticize those who contribute to your answer. The person that you're talking about answers thousands of questions. He's got tremendous experience that lends value to those answers. You don't like how he answers? Don't like the tone or language? Too bad. Then don't read his posts. Find your own answers.

You're getting a free lunch. Someone else is paying. You can't complain about how they pay your bill.

The polite thing to do, when someone is helping you free of charge, is to simply say, "Thank You" and be done with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Astro14 View Post
    So, in order:

I know what a troll is, and that's why I objected to your post. JRL may be direct...blunt, even...but he's not looking to elicit a negative response, that's not his intent. He's trying to help, he spends a lot of time posting here trying to help, and with all of his experience he's been a huge help to me over the years in owning a 2002. So, I appreciate your response on that topic and I'll leave it be.

Next.

The transmission...Look, I didn't know about the transmission issues either when I bought the two Volvos listed in my signature below. I bought them in 2008, 8 years ago...you think YOU feel bad for buying one of the "bad years"...Hey Man! I bought TWO of them at the same time!!

TWO!!!

Why do you think I wrote up that Valve body piece in the resources section? I was under the gun to repair TWO cars with the SAME problem...and the dealer wanted over $6K to fix the XC when the problem first manifested itself...try selling THAT to your significant other..."Hey honey, those two cars we bought last year? Yeah, uhm, we're going to have to spend $12,000 to keep them on the road"...

I was fortunate in that the Valve Body surgery was successful on the XC, cost me about $700 out of pocket (plus some serious time under the car) and allowed me to do the same on the T5.

From your description, I don't think the transmission problem is electrical in nature...the banging was immediately preceded by the engine revving up, right? You may not have noticed as the pickup was bearing down on you, but I suspect that the engine revved way, way up before Reverse engaged. Drive - Reverse (and vice versa) is known as a "garage shift"...and when the line pressure is low, that garage shift is slow. The more gas you give the engine, the higher it will rev, and the more harsh the engagement of the gear will be. I think that's what happened in your case.

So, what to do? First, replace the fluid. All of it. Ignore the old wive's tale about flushing causing failures. At this point, who cares? Your transmission has already failed. New fluid can make a world of difference.

If that helps, then replace the valve body and cross your fingers...$800 all in.

If it doesn't, then replace the transmission. And hope that the used one is in good shape.

If it were me, and I wanted greater certainty, I would have the valve body in the new/used transmission rebuilt. It's a piece of cake when the transmission isn't in the car. Rebuild it, swap in the trans, have the dealer set the transmission to adapt mode and take the car through the adapt cycle. Again, about $800 for that...because you've already got the transmission...

Cheers,
    Astro
    I wish I read this before buying one 01 xc....but two...omg
    Astro u r the man... Man:-) all the best

I had forgotten about this post.

Yeah...two...

Now, three!

I bought the 2001 T5 with 75,000 miles on it last year. Went through it nose to tail to give my son as his first car. Since he's up in Vermont, too far away for me to help him fix it, I wanted to ensure that it wouldn't need anything for years...so...

It got the following:
    - IPD exhaust, Downpipe and R model manifold - OK, this part set was for fun. It's ready to get an ECU upgrade and go hunting for unsuspecting BMWs...
    - Reconditioned (painted, straight) Volvo Propus wheels and new Michelin Pilot tires (also for fun, and they look sweet).
    - Front struts, shocks, control arms (IPD HD) ball joints, tie rods, strut mounts, spring seats and hardware.
    - New F & R rotors (drilled), Akebono pads, calipers checked, cleaned, and painted, IPD stainless lines, parking brake shoes and hardware, complete fluid flush with ATE SL.6.
    - New engine mounts, including a polyurethane transmission mount (IPD)
    - Timing set, serpentine belt and tensioner.
    - Power steering fluid flush and Magnefine filter installed.
    - New sparkplugs, new coils, new injectors, air and fuel filters.
    - Complete PCV system replacement, including oil pan (sump) drop, clean and o-ring replacement.
    - New water pump, radiator, hoses (including heater hoses).
    - Xemodex ETM upgrade.
    - Xemodex CEM rebuild.
    - Xemodex ABS module rebuild.
    - Some paint touch up and some rust prevention on the undercarriage and body.

And yes...

New GM Valve body modified to fit the Volvo.
    New B4 Servo cover
    Transmission oil cooler, filter and thermostat (same set-up that I've previously posted)

The 2001 T5 shifted perfectly when I got it. I know the transmission is in good shape. Given the history of those cars, I was pre-emptive in updating the valve body. I've also got a copy of VIDA running on a Dell Laptop (Win 7 Pro), so I did the adaptation of the valve body after installing it.

So, a couple of thoughts as I re-read this post:

1. I still back JRL. He's done the kinds of things I listed above dozens, if not hundreds, of times as he buys and sells these cars. He knows what he's talking about.
    2. I really like my VIDA...I don't know how you could work on one of these without it...
    3. I really like the P2 chassis. It's a good looking car, durable, practical, and fun. My son's T5 is quick, looks great, and is very practical for his lifestyle. My daughter's T5 gets her to the hospital every day in Salt Lake City (where she's a surgeon), and runs her up to the mountains of Utah to go hiking on the weekends. My wife's XC gets her to work every day, runs her errands, takes her up to DC, etc. All three of the P2 cars that I've bought/owned/maintained have been excellent cars. Once you work through the quirks, and known failure points, you're rewarded with a good car.

I freely admit that I didn't know the extent of the 2001-2002 transmission problems when we bought the first two. But, that was twelve years ago, I got that sorted on both cars, and they've been great cars.
    Last edited by Astro14; 08-13-2019 at 04:57 AM.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Amazing thread,and excellent post Astro.u guys are really crazy... Like volvo crazy :-) Real petrolheads and volvo enthusiasts. Absolutely right about the free lunch and the bill. Nice point, also on the p2 chasiss and the rewarding car thing (I honestly belive in that rewarding car thing, but it is extremely demanding car to understand and then maintain). I have a question since I'm in the same situation as you were ten years ago.except my torque converter failed, my vb failed and eventually clutches bands.Can I swap a box from c70 01 donor car to my 01 v70xc.both are aw55-50sn but a little different in the numbers.Attachment pic from plates,the dirty one is from my tranny. The new box is "remanufactured". Can u please confirm if you have any knowledge.If everything works,I know I'll have to adapt tranny with vida right?thanks in advance Astro and JRL and all forum members.
    Dejan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20190811_201345.JPG   IMG_20190811_202943.JPG  

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234