Default New 2004 XC90 T6 owner needing a bit of help.

Hi all, so I ended up trading for a 2004 XC90 T6 with about 132k miles yesterday straight across for my 2008 Honda Fit. We just got a new car around Christmas and felt we needed a bigger second car so when someone offered me this trade I felt it was a great opportunity. I haven't driven the car all too much yet but so far I feel pretty happy about it. I'm just worried about reading about transmission problems and looking at the car fax, I know the transmission on mine has been replaced at least once already. This is the first European car i've ever owned as i've mainly owned Japanese cars. Being that this will just be a weekend car anyway, I think it should be perfect for our needs as a second car.

With that said, there's a few minor problems with the car that i'm trying to fix:

-The prior owner swears they never had any issues with the popup navigation on the dash not working but i've tried pressing the buttons on the steering wheel and remote but have had no luck. Has anyone had issues with the dash navigation like this? If so, what do you recommend I check for a solution?

-Everything on the stereo works but the RADIO. I have no idea why and haven't pulled it out yet. Is it common for just the radio function to go out? CD's and everything else worls

===============================================

Anyone else with the T6 Twin turbo model enjoying it? I honestly don't care about being fast and having all the bells and whistles that it came with but i'm appreciative of the opportunity to own a Volvo as i've always appreciated the brand from afar. Anyways, any help to my above problems will be gladly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by Remedi; 02-29-2016 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Remedi View Post
    traded for a 2004 XC90 T6 straight across for my 2008 Honda Fit.

I'm just worried about reading about transmission problems and looking at the car fax, I know the transmission on mine has been replaced at least once already.

This is the first European car i've ever owned as i've mainly owned Japanese cars.

popup navigation on the dash not working, i've tried pressing the buttons on the steering wheel and remote

whole rear part of the armrest since to be broken, it slides backwards

city/driving lights is out.

-What kind of oil should I use and how many quarts?

Anyone else with the T6 Twin turbo model enjoying it?
    Any chance you can trade it back? Edmunds.com says a 2008 honda fit with ~80,000 miles is worth about $5400, they value the XC90 with 133k at $3700. And the honda is not going to need a ~$4000 to ~$6500 transmission on a regular basis. If that's not possible - sorry for your loss.

As a general rule European cars will need more $ for repairs and maintenance than Japanese cars. You may be in for a shock -

The Volvo factory navigation system does have problems, and they are all expensive. Volvo also chooses to not include roads that Garmin or TomTom (or whoever provides the map) knows about. (Like my street that has been there for 60 years). The map discs are updated every couple of years but the last time I tried to purchase some they were $199. Fortunately $200 Garmins with lifetime map updates are available.(But I agree, the pop up screen is really cool)

The rear section of the center console is supposed to latch into place - have seen a couple where the release mechanism gets broken - There is a spring loaded release handle on the bottom of the very back of the loose armrest.

remove the whole headlamp assembly to replace any bulbs in it (easy, 2 metal strips hold it in)

5w30, 6.5 quarts oil, need a special tool to not destroy the filter cannister

I enjoyed my xc90t6, bought it new in 2005, and loved it best the day I turned it back in from the lease. (original transmission lasted 22,000 miles)

There are not many t-6 xc90s left on the road, (in my part of the country) I used to work on bunches, but now rarely see t-6's. I guess they are just not repaired when the transmission or driveshaft or axles or front end or compressor or heater fan motor (dash removal needed for that!) goes bad (Although I have a friend who has put 3 transmissions in his T6!)

Make sure the timing belt, idler, tensioner and water pump are in good condition - and be gentle on the transmission

Quote Originally Posted by hoonk View Post
    Any chance you can trade it back? Edmunds.com says a 2008 honda fit with ~80,000 miles is worth about $5400, they value the XC90 with 133k at $3700. And the honda is not going to need a ~$4000 to ~$6500 transmission on a regular basis. If that's not possible - sorry for your loss.

As a general rule European cars will need more $ for repairs and maintenance than Japanese cars. You may be in for a shock -

The Volvo factory navigation system does have problems, and they are all expensive. Volvo also chooses to not include roads that Garmin or TomTom (or whoever provides the map) knows about. (Like my street that has been there for 60 years). The map discs are updated every couple of years but the last time I tried to purchase some they were $199. Fortunately $200 Garmins with lifetime map updates are available.(But I agree, the pop up screen is really cool)

The rear section of the center console is supposed to latch into place - have seen a couple where the release mechanism gets broken - There is a spring loaded release handle on the bottom of the very back of the loose armrest.

remove the whole headlamp assembly to replace any bulbs in it (easy, 2 metal strips hold it in)

5w30, 6.5 quarts oil, need a special tool to not destroy the filter cannister

I enjoyed my xc90t6, bought it new in 2005, and loved it best the day I turned it back in from the lease. (original transmission lasted 22,000 miles)

There are not many t-6 xc90s left on the road, (in my part of the country) I used to work on bunches, but now rarely see t-6's. I guess they are just not repaired when the transmission or driveshaft or axles or front end or compressor or heater fan motor (dash removal needed for that!) goes bad (Although I have a friend who has put 3 transmissions in his T6!)

Make sure the timing belt, idler, tensioner and water pump are in good condition - and be gentle on the transmission
    OUch, thanks. The Fit had a branded title and we didn't want to make any car payments. It was totalled before I bought it 6 years ago and it was totalled again 2 months ago when I get in a wreck but was fixed perfectly and driving wonderfully. I'll plan to drive like a granny and I pray that it lasts us a couple years before I get settled in more and finally get that Tundra (God willing). If it does die then i'll probably cut my losses and move on. People locally are looking to purchase T6 with transmission work for some reason.

Update: So I found a plastic piece in a bag of goodies the prior owner gave me and I was able to fix the arm rest (for now). It no longer detaches easily on its own. I also figured out how to replace the headlight bulbs which is EASY PEESY (THANK YOU HOONK, although I did youtube it last night and smacked my forehead). And Thanks again HOONK for advising me of the 6.5qt 5w30 oil change. Trading back is no longer an option and i'm going to try to love this thing the best I can and hopefully God gives me some mercy with this Volvo.

Quote Originally Posted by Remedi View Post
    People locally are looking to purchase T6 with transmission work for some reason.
    Maybe they wrecked theirs right after putting a transmission in

We bought a 2nd hand 2004 XC90 T6 twin turbo with 130,000kms a few years ago as a 2nd car to get to work and weekend shopping etc, and even tow a small camper trailer now and then with no transmission problems whatsoever, so I guess we're lucky so far. The Volvo came with full dealership service history and noted the auto had been serviced twice and an additional cooler fitted when new. So far so good! I purchased a 5 year warranty which cost me $1,000, but it covers engine, transmission driveline and any computer glitches. Worth every cent. Compared to many other cars we've owned over the years the Volvo is easily the most comfortable and quiet car yet, there's no rattles or squeeks which to me is amazing! And we paid AUD $3,000 for it! The thing I wish for now is a decent entertainment system but can't find any info on the forums about changing out the existing unit with something like a double DIN with bluetooth, Iphone connectivity etc.