Default P003F Code Question - What Volvo Component?

Now I'm stumped and before taking it to a dealership, is there anyone who can suggest what this OBD code translates to on a Volvo?

P003F - Intake (A) camshaft profile control suck on. Bank 2. It's accompanied by cylinder misfire OBD codes

This happened on my 2008 XC70 with the 3.2L motor. I thought the failed component was the Camshaft Position Impulse Sensor, part number 30713599. I bought an identical OEM part, swapped it out, but the same codes have returned. Except for the check engine light showing and a slight engine hesitation (misfire), there is no other symptoms.

The first time this happened, I reset the P003F code and it did not return for several weeks. There were no cylinder misfires at first, but now the codes return after a short <20 km drive.

I've previously had mice chewing through wires on top of the engine and have inspected the wiring looms for obvious areas to inspect. I'm now at a loss of where to look next.

I need to get this resolved before December since I need the Ontario emission test performed before I get my license plate sticker.

All suggestions welcome ...... Cam

Default Tempoary Fix - More Problems

It seems the P003F code may be indicating that the culprit is the adjacent solenoid that controls the oil flow for the variable valve timing. My dilemma was translating the generic OBD code description to the term Volvo uses.

Even this is not entirely consistent. The part I did remove was the Control Valve Solenoid, part number 36002689. Once removed I manually tried to lift the solenoid piston, but it was indeed "stuck" on as the P003F code indicated. I cleaned it with carb cleaner, then was able to get enough movement that the code has not returned. I'm likely living on borrowed time, so will replace this component.

Today I encountered a totally different problem as I tried to enter a 4 lane highway. The engine hesitated and then threw up a text message in the inside tachometer display "Try slow down or shift up" with the check engine light flashing and a display image that looked like a thermometer in a liquid reservoir. No codes were stored and after I stopped, then restarted the engine on a slower 2 lane road, the engine returned to normal, the message disappeared and I made it safely home.

Research seems to indicate this is a failing ignition coil and maybe it's time to replace the spark plugs. Stay tuned.

Update 2015-07-06: Installed a set of new platinum plugs, inspected coils and installed variable valve timing solenoid, part $36002689. This seems to have cured all of my symptoms.
    Last edited by CVOLVO; 07-06-2015 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Fixed, see 2008 XC70 P003E P003F

That's odd because the intake VVT solenoid is not that one you replaced, that's the exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by CVOLVO View Post
    It seems the P003F code may be indicating that the culprit is the adjacent solenoid that controls the oil flow for the variable valve timing. My dilemma was translating the generic OBD code description to the term Volvo uses.

Even this is not entirely consistent. The part I did remove was the Control Valve Solenoid, part number 36002689. Once removed I manually tried to lift the solenoid piston, but it was indeed "stuck" on as the P003F code indicated. I cleaned it with carb cleaner, then was able to get enough movement that the code has not returned. I'm likely living on borrowed time, so will replace this component.

Today I encountered a totally different problem as I tried to enter a 4 lane highway. The engine hesitated and then threw up a text message in the inside tachometer display "Try slow down or shift up" with the check engine light flashing and a display image that looked like a thermometer in a liquid reservoir. No codes were stored and after I stopped, then restarted the engine on a slower 2 lane road, the engine returned to normal, the message disappeared and I made it safely home.

Research seems to indicate this is a failing ignition coil and maybe it's time to replace the spark plugs. Stay tuned.

Update 2015-07-06: Installed a set of new platinum plugs, inspected coils and installed variable valve timing solenoid, part $36002689. This seems to have cured all of my symptoms.