Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Transmission problem, or is it?

2003 xc70 with 220, 000 miles

Transmision is completely slipping in both directions, and does not even hold in park. Thought tranny was done, or at least valve body, so I was going to sadly get rid of it.

After tossing around the idea of valve body removal and repair, I saw a number of threads that seemed to describe my issue, but those found a problem with one of the drive axles. This would be awesome news, as I enjoy this car and am proud to keep it going.

1. How would an axle problem cause my symptoms? It doesn't make sense to me, but if it is a $200 repair as opposed to $1200, then I am up for it.

2. How should I troubleshoot to check if this is indeed the problem? Is there a way short of pulling the axles out to check them?

Any help is appreciated. You guys have helped me keep it on the road for the last three years at least!
    Current fleet:
    2013 Toyota Sienna
    2007 Dodge 1500 Megacab
    2003 XC70
    2003 HD Road King Classic
    2001 HD Sportster 1200

Front right axle may pop out. Easy to check by looking at carriage bracket - the bearing should be fully in. Under engine splash pan needs to be removed.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Sounds good, I will check today or tomorrow. How would a single axle popping out make the car not move at all?
    Current fleet:
    2013 Toyota Sienna
    2007 Dodge 1500 Megacab
    2003 XC70
    2001 HD Sportster 1200

Would make sense for a FWD car, but on this vehicle the AWD would kick in, unless your AWD is toast, because it would notice the missing/broken axle as wheel spin.

Here's a link to how a differentials works.
    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm
    2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 130k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post
    Would make sense for a FWD car, but on this vehicle the AWD would kick in, unless your AWD is toast, because it would notice the missing/broken axle as wheel spin.

Here's a link to how a differentials works.
    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm
    Oops, I gave a bad piece of data. The car holds in park.

So, I have an AWD XC70 that the transmission does nothing in either Drive or Reverse, including if I put in in the manual gear-shift mode. It holds in park. The last Gibbons flush was within 5000 miles, and the fluid is bright red and the correct level.

I have read some folks saying that a single popped out axle shaft could cause this, though I don't understand how, or I am misunderstanding what they are saying.

I have checked the two front axles; they feel nice and tight with no play.

So the $2000 question is: can this problem be anything other than either a failed valve body or completely destroyed transmission?
    Current fleet:
    2013 Toyota Sienna
    2007 Dodge 1500 Megacab
    2003 XC70
    2001 HD Sportster 1200

Does gear indicator in instrument cluster switch to PRD, as it should or there's a dash?
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Quote Originally Posted by dperry View Post
    The car holds in park. I have an AWD XC70 that the transmission does nothing in either Drive or Reverse,
    If a front axle popped out the car would not hold in park - it would roll.

The 01-2 cars will move - just barely - with a popped out left axle after the viscous (sp) coupler heats up and sends enough power to the rear wheels to push the car.

Have not seen what happens on a 03+ haldex car with a front axle popped out.

Unfortunately it sounds like you need a new transmission -

If it holds tight in park it's not your axles. In park the vehicle engages both axle opposite to each other so the vehicle cannot roll in either direction. In other words, in park the front wheel on one side of the vehicle will roll in the opposite direction of the other wheel, so it sounds like your axles are alright. If you read the link I provided for differentials then you will have a better understanding of how a "missing" axle can cause no power to the wheels, but the basics is torque will only be applied to the wheel with the least resistance. If the axle is popped off on one side, that side of the differential is allowed to spin freely and is unable to drive the other wheel.

It's tough to say it if it is a valve body issue or not, but based on your description it can be related to a pressure issue in the transmission. I have no knowledge or experience troubleshooting these transmission, you should check out the link for Sonnax that I've provided and maybe search their sight for more information, this is assuming that you are trying to service this yourself. If not, I suggest bringing it to a service shop that is experienced in troubleshooting AF33 transmissions.

Good Luck
    2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 130k miles

In answer to vtl:

The gear indicator shows what I would expect, D in Drive, etc. When I shift to geartronic, it goes 1, 2, 3 as I shift. It won't go above 3 while I am sitting still, but that is possibly normal, I don't know.
    Current fleet:
    2013 Toyota Sienna
    2007 Dodge 1500 Megacab
    2003 XC70
    2001 HD Sportster 1200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast