Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

If you want to , check you oil cold , check it hot , let it set 5 mins. , check it , let it set 10 mins. , check it , do this every 5 mins. for 1 hour and see how much difference it makes .
    I trust an oil level check before staring in the morning .

Quote Originally Posted by gstallons View Post
    If you want to , check you oil cold , check it hot , let it set 5 mins. , check it , let it set 10 mins. , check it , do this every 5 mins. for 1 hour and see how much difference it makes .
    I trust an oil level check before staring in the morning .
    It's not like the transmission where a precise level (w/i ~100 ml) is critical. The margin of error for the engine under-fill ("add-line") is ~950 ml. Personally I check my engine oil when cold and I absolutely know it has all drained back to the crankcase. If it expands ~5% when hot, so what, it's ~300 ml. When I change oil and fill with cold oil I generally don't top off all the way to the max line but rather leave it a bit short to allow for expansion. That's the level I look for when checking cold. Though I suspect the max level on the dip stick is actually designed to be 5% low to allow for expansion and I'm extremely doubtful that there is any risk to filling to the max line when cold. If there were then foaming and leaking seals would be much more common issues then they actually are, and there would be explicit warnings not to check when cold.
    '04 XC70, Ash Gold / Taupe, Premium, Touring, Tinted Rear Glass, Rear Skyddsplåt, Wing Profile Load Bars, USA Spec 11,
    StonGard Light Protection, Yokohama YK740 GTXs, Meyle HD Sway Bar Links, ipd HD TCV, subframe & top brace poly bushing inserts,
    TitaniumTim XC Cup-holder Coasters.

Quote Originally Posted by Instigator View Post
    ok, quick update to my oil change saga...

can't get the wrench for the oil filter here although it is found easily in USA shops...

can't get the crunch washer thingies in the UK either... perhaps they are called something else?

gave up and took volvo to garage on corner that did oil change and oil filter change... 70 quid...

dude told me that there was oil all over the engine and that i might have a leak somewhere... which is strange because the engine and engine bay is sparkling clean and dry and when I put new fog lamp bulbs in i was under the engine and removed the rock plate protecter panel to access the fog lamp area... all clean a dry and not a spot of oil anywhere...

so, whatever... i'll keep an eye on the oil levels but at least i have the peace of mind that the new to me 2001 volvo V70 XC has a fresh oil filter and oil in it from now onwards and i know when to change it again in future...

on way home last night with the kids the engine felt slightly rough as we were driving... it just seemed rough to me... i thought i'll check the oil level in morning as it is best to check oil when engine is cold...

so, this morning i check the engine oil and it is over an inch above the max oil marker on the dipstick...

oh, that isn't right... call the garage and the dude says that is normal because when the engine is warm the oil filter fills with oil and then it will show the correct oil level on the dipstick...

to me, this is all sorts of crazy wrong... but maybe you Brits do things differently here with your cars?

can anyone tell me what is the correct way to check the engine oil in the UK?

it just seems bonkers to account for oil filter filling with oil etc etc... you put the right amount of oil in and it should be between the low and max points on the dipstick end of... am i right?

dude also claimed that there is no damage to engine that having 2 or 3 quarts of extra oil in system can do... really?

he said to bring the car back in so he can look at it...

i'd like some knowledge from you guys before i do that...

i did run the engine for a minute and then let it sit for 10 minutes and checked it again and it was exactly on the max level mark on dipstick... so is the dude right?

thanks for your help guys...

ps - i have the transmission fluid you recommended valvoline max life stuff 10 quid a bottle but just gotta find time to get the transmission warm and then change the fluid...

You should be able to get the oil filter housing wrench from any Volvo dealer.

Oil level an inch over full on the dipstick is dangerous to the engine. This is likely why you have the rough running. There is a chance that the crank is pushing though oil when it is rotating.
    Ideally the oil level should be checked after the car has sat over night on a level surface. When checked at a fill station it should have sat with the engine off for 5-10 minutes. The longer the more accurate the reading. The difference between a hot and cold engine reading should not be enough to cause issues. If you run a cold engine for a minute then you need to let it sit for a lot longer to get an accurate reading.

To have a shop tell you that an engine over full by 2-3 quarts will not cause any damage means that this is a shop that you need to run away from. Keep in mind that 3 UK quarts is nearly a US gallon. Never mind them telling you the engine is oil covered when you know that when you brought it there is was clean. The oil filter is full of oil all of the time, they are not supposed to have the oil drain out of them.
    Go back to them and tell them that they need to drain down the oil until it is at the correct level. Better yet find another shop to do it.

The other thing that you need to keep in mind is a car is a car. What you did in the US with yours is no different that in the UK. The oil level is checked the same. The repairs are done the same. The shops may do things differently in how they run them selves but the basic car is the same.

I can hardly believe this thread is real! Really if you cannot accurately read and plot/change your engine oil then why don't you simply change your vehicle at recommended intervals? This is mostly absurdity.
    MY01 Ocean Race XC70 Blue/Silver

just bought the car so wanted to change it now so I can keep track of exactly when changes where done etc etc...

you can't believe it? Go ahead then, find the tool for the oil filter by noon today (monday) you've about 4 hours... bet you can't find one in the UK...

other strange problems that I've found int he UK...

1. garages will change motor oil but not transmission fluid... ???

2. nobody has in stock the transmission fluid for the volvo (finally found some but it had to be ordered and took a week)

3. oil filter tool/socket doesn't seem to exist in UK - have found one on eBay but it only labeled for a specific volvo engine not mine, emailed the seller and he of course has no idea if they are compatible.

the problem isn't not knowing how frequent i need to change the oil it is in finding the tools in this 3rd world country...

in the USA this would involve 5 minutes at the local auto parts shop and I'd be done... none of the major UK shops can supply this stuff... why?

you'll also notice the various techniques listed for checking the oil level... in the states we have 1 way of doing it...

when in rome...

ps - how do you check your engine oil level?
    Last edited by Instigator; 12-22-2014 at 01:31 AM.
    2001 V70 Cross Country / 1968 Dodge Charger

Quote Originally Posted by Instigator View Post
    just bought the car so wanted to change it now so I can keep track of exactly when changes where done etc etc...

you can't believe it? Go ahead then, find the tool for the oil filter by noon today (monday) you've about 4 hours... bet you can't find one in the UK...

other strange problems that I've found int he UK...

1. garages will change motor oil but not transmission fluid... ???

2. nobody has in stock the transmission fluid for the volvo (finally found some but it had to be ordered and took a week)

3. oil filter tool/socket doesn't seem to exist in UK - have found one on eBay but it only labeled for a specific volvo engine not mine, emailed the seller and he of course has no idea if they are compatible.

the problem isn't not knowing how frequent i need to change the oil it is in finding the tools in this 3rd world country...

in the USA this would involve 5 minutes at the local auto parts shop and I'd be done... none of the major UK shops can supply this stuff... why?

you'll also notice the various techniques listed for checking the oil level... in the states we have 1 way of doing it...

when in rome...

ps - how do you check your engine oil level?
    OK, let's quit messing about here and get this done.

1 & 2) "garages will change motor oil but not transmission fluid... ???" - I find this hard to believe, but failing that simply do 2 or 3 dump and fills. No different than changing engine oil. Will require about 8 litres (get 10) of Toyota T-IV fluid or 3309 equivalent. This should be easy as there are at least 15 dealers within the M25. If you want synoil, try Eneoes transmission fluid as it meets 3309 spec, its synoil and it is sold in the UK. Maybe someone can check me on this, but you'll need a 22 or 24mm spanner for the drain plug and a funnel and tubing to reach the dipstick tube which is how you will fill the tranny. As the name implies, simply dump the tranny fluid out (about 4 litres will come out), refill (try 3.5 for this first one) and drive it around the block. Do it again this time checking for proper fluid level when the car is full on hot (about 30 minutes of driving or so).

3) "oil filter tool/socket doesn't seem to exist in UK" - Here you go (http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...oducts_id=5864). A simple matter of using the Interweb for something actually useful. That is, a simple search came up with this and I am familiar with them. Perhaps if you get your order in quick you can see delivery before Christmas Day. Again, just like a metal canister filter except you get to save the housing. Undo the housing extract the cartridge filter and o-ring. Replace the filter and o-ring, lubing the ring slightly with new oil and re-introduce the hosuing to the filter mount. Do it up tight by hand. Re-fill engine with proper amount of oil (check manual or do 4 litres, check it and add as necessary to full mark on the stick).

Finally, checking both the oil and tranny fluid are with dipsticks same as any old US car. Check here for the owners manual (http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/...XC/01xc_00.htm). Albeit a US version, the UK version is identical save for the steering wheel being on the right side (or is that the correct side?). Also get yourself a copy of VIDA or a Haynes manual (UK publication) which will also help you locate all these dipsticks, drain p-lugs and other what-its. A Haynes manual and any other tools/parts you may need should be available at a local parts store. Try these guys (http://www.eurocarparts.com/store-locator) as there are also a number within the M25.

Have fun and Happy Christmas

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

I'm finding all of this hard to belive as well. "nobody has in stock the fluid for Volvo"?

Did you try the Toyota dealer? The fluid is Toyota T-IV. Guarantee that they've got the fluid.

"Nobody has the crunch washer"....it's so common, but it's called a crush washer or sealing ring. 18MM. very common...but I've never heard anyone call it a "crunch washer", so perhaps that's your problem.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234