Unhappy my 05 xc90 went clunk, now won't go forward

Help! I know these have problems with tranys but this is just weird. No probs with trans before. Drove like a dream. Hubs left for work, said he heard a thunk and it would not go forward. He was just down the road so backed it home, got in the other car and drove that to work. I just went out and checked the tranny fluid. It seems to be full and looks and smells really clean. I read online about the drivers side axle having problems. Could this have happened? No tranny warning light and like I said tranny fluid looks good. I'm just grasping at straws here. I don't have money for a new tranny. Eeekkk.

What kind of engine to do you have? T6 or a 2.5T?

Ed

It' the t6. I went out and tried it again. It goes into reverse. If I put it in the manual side it will go forward very slow. Strange. No previous problems at all. No grinding, slipping or anything.

It could do this if it were just low on transmission fluid (maybe minus the clunk noise). Though, I think you would know if it leaked out.

2005 XC70 - 50/35 Tint, Yakima Rack

Unfortunately the General Motors T65 transmission used in the s80 and xc90 2.9 6 cylinder cars are known to fail. It is a commonly used transmission so parts and the knowledge to rebuilt them are easily found.

Yep - if it's a T6, the drive axle clip probably failed (recalling a known cause from someone's post 2 years ago) and it allowed a foreign fluid to contaminate the tranny oil and destroyed the gears/bearings in the transmission.

So, you probably need a new transmission. It's a GM - so they're very common and easy to find rebuilds at most transmission shops.

Ed

Thank you. I did see the post about that and wondered. Appreciate everyones help.