Default first gear/transmission issue

'11 XC 60 3.2 FWD- My car shifts quick and hard when I start off. It revs to 1700 acts like it shifts then is right back at 1700. It almost feels like it tries to shift and doesn't make it. I drive aggressively and can push it so it will act OK but if I drive with traffic it does this hiccup shift thing. Are there issues with the drivability of these transmissions?

Quote Originally Posted by fhopper View Post
    Are there issues with the drivability of these transmissions?
    Yes. Volvo's 6-speed auto is not the smoothest out there. Over the years since it appeared in 2007/08 there have been a number of software updates to the transmission. Check with a Volvo dealer that you have the latest software for your transmission.

Tony

Thanks for the reply. I traded a BMWX3 on this car and it had a driver routine for resetting the "learning" of the transmission shift patterns. Does the Aisin transmission "learn"?

I have been having problems with my 2014 XC60 T6 AWD Sport since I bought it. The transmission was shifting very hard on occasion during all driving phases. It also exhibited delays shifting from neutral back to drive during stops and slow speed maneuvers. The result is that anything but the gentlest gradual throttle application after a stop or near stop results in a hard engagement. I had it into a local dealer 3 times and they weren't able to solve the problem. I finally had the car into another dealer that's 100 miles away and they were able to improve the general shift characteristics but occasional hard shifts on kick down remain. The issue that occurs from a stop hasn't been resolved and almost seems more prevalent after the TCM Adaptation. I have an appointment to see the same dealer next Monday, hopefully they will come up with a solution, my guess is a bad transaxle since an adaptation didn't resolve the issues. I'll try to update this post after my dealer visit. Overall... Squeaks/rattles, engine noise on start up, transaxle issues... I have been very disappointed in the reliability 10k miles into ownership. My MY14 hasn't been anywhere close to the reliability of my 2001 XC70.
    2014 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Sport: Stock for now
    2009 Scion tC 5M: True Ram-Air with K&N Filter, JVTR Header, Raceland Exhaust with AR25 Resonator, Seibon Carbon Fiber Hood and Hatch, HIDs.
    1998 Olds Cutlass GLS 4A: K&N Short Ram, P&P TB, Custom Exhaust, Enkei MM2 Ultralight 18's.
    1997 Suzuki Sidekick JLX Sport: 3 inch Lift with Long Travel Shocks, larger tires, and Dash mounted CB Radio.