Default 2008 XC90 more aggressive / off-road rated tires?

I recently purchased a Volvo XC90 with the 4.4l V8 based on the thinking that it would be one of the few luxury full-sized SUVs that actually has some off-road capabilities. However, after I took it to two different tire places they both have told me that because of the size of the rims of the vehicle that there isn't really any off-road capable tires for it. I asked if I could just get smaller rims and they said I could not because the front discs are very large and smaller rims will not fit. Is this really the case?

Quote Originally Posted by sovamind View Post
    I recently purchased a Volvo XC90 with the 4.4l V8 based on the thinking that it would be one of the few luxury full-sized SUVs that actually has some off-road capabilities. However, after I took it to two different tire places they both have told me that because of the size of the rims of the vehicle that there isn't really any off-road capable tires for it. I asked if I could just get smaller rims and they said I could not because the front discs are very large and smaller rims will not fit. Is this really the case?
    What size rims do you currently have?

A quick search on tire rack yielded these 2 tires for on/off road. For 17 inch rims tire size which is P235/65R17:

1)Pirelli Scorpion ATR
    2)Yokohama Geolander A/T-S

For 18 inch rims with 255/55/18:

1) General Grabber AT 2

18 and 17 inch rims are easy to find if you don't already have them.

All 7 passenger xc90s have 336mm front rotors. You can move down to the 17" wheels. That being said, go to discounttiredirect.com and put in your info, they will give you tested sizes that fit and offer more all terrain options. Myself I am going with Hankook Dynapro ATMs and can't wait. I had them on my last SUV and they were great for both on and off road capabilities.

Currently there is Hankook Ventus AS RH07 235/60 R18 tires on it. These are certainly not very off-road ready tires although I have been impressed with them in light snow that recently hit Portland for a few days. If I can get 17" rims onto the car that would definitely open up some more options but the guys at the two tire places seemed to think that 17" rims wouldn't fit over the larger front discs in my car. Not sure, maybe I have a sport package or something with larger front brakes?

i believe all 7 passenger models have the larger brakes on the front. You should be able to get 17" wheels, at least volvo wheels. There are two sizes for brakes, 316 and 336mm rotors.

So all the places I am calling say that the 336mm rotors require the 18" wheels to clear the calipers. Is this true? Anyone have the 336mm rotors and 17" rims?

Do you currently have 316mm or 336mm rotors?

I definitely have the 336mm rotors and the 18" rims.

i have 08 volvo xc90 17"wheels,wheels in great condition i could swap them for your 18" wheels if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by nefa4 View Post
    i have 08 volvo xc90 17"wheels,wheels in great condition i could swap them for your 18" wheels if interested.
    Well you'd have to find the new owner of the car because I ended up selling the Volvo and getting a 4Runner. Definitely solved the off-road problems for me though. ;-P