Default Windshield Trim Rubber Repair

Ok, so in looking for a way to replace the rubber piece that runs between the trim & windshield on the outside of the A pillar I found nothing except WAY overpriced replacement pieces that included the plastic trim itself. These used to be available in the correct color for the car and were priced around $100 each plus shipping plus the cost of the trim clips and corner moulding.

I couldn't find the trim pieces in the correct color anywhere and paying over $200 just to repair a couple of rotted rubber gaskets seemed extreme anyhow. So I started thinking of a solution and came up with this.

1. I ordered 6 trim clips (#120630) and the RH (#120132) & LH(#120131) lower corner moulding from IPD plus 4 push in trim clips (#120133) for a total of $51 with shipping.

2. I purchased 7ft of rubber tubing 7/16 dia and a tube of black RTV for $14 at Advance Auto.

3. Remove the corner moulding by prying up on the trim clips (2). The clips will probably fall apart. If this happens take a small pair of pliers and grab it to remove it. The moulding then can be removed.

4. Carefully remove the existing clips from each side with a flat blade screwdriver pushing the clip down towards the bottom of the windshield until it disengages from the stud on the pillar (it may be the opposite, as in push up, on the other side, sorry can't remember). You'll probably break a couple if not all of the original clips due to them being brittle from age and weathering. There is a clip about 6" from the top of the trim that's a different type that I didn't bother with. It prevented the trim from being completed removed from the car but was not an issue with this repair.

5. Grab the old rubber gasket starting at the bottom and carefully pull it up towards the top of the car to remove it from the trim. The RH side came out easy but the LH side was a bit harder. It did come out completely but took a little more effort.

6. Using a shopvac clean all the debris that has collected over the years under the trim and install the new clips. They slide on from the bottom of the trim easily enough. The clips came with a little "handle" I guess to facilitate installation but they were not needed in my application so I just broke them off.

7. Take your flat tip screwdriver and pushed up towards the top (or down towards the bottom, just look at the new clip and you'll see which direction to push) of the windshield on each clip to secure it to the stud on the pillar. Be careful when you do this as too much effort may break the clip or worse the plastic trim piece if your screwdriver slips. The end result when done correctly is a snug trim piece. You'll be able to tell when they are seated.

8. Next take the rubber tubing and cut it to the correct size for each side. In my case it was appx. 36". You'll want enough to go down past the trim into the corner moulding.

9. Run a thin bead of black RTV along the outside edge of the windshield on the face not the side and along the top of the trim between the roof rack and windshield. This will give added adhesion to the rubber tubing once you press it in to place.

10. Take the tubing and starting at the top next to the forward most roof rack mount press it towards the outside of the trim. It will fit very snug (especially when it meets the top windshield trim) and straighten out as you proceed down towards the bottom of the windshield.

11. Trim your new corner mouldings where the moulding meets the tubing and install with new push in clips. (One clip is included in the new trim package) Not sure why they didn't just put them both in there... (NOTE: Pay close attention when trimming the new moulding as I trimmed too much off of one side so I just did the other side to match. I'll probably get a couple more and redo the trimming to better close up the gap between it and the tubing) It still looks good though.

12. You're done! And what you have looks a LOT better than what you had and all for under $75!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Old Corner Mould LH.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	5627 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Old Corner Mould RH.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	5628 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Old gasket LH.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	5629 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Old Gasket Removed.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	5630 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Old Gasket RH.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	5631
    Last edited by 9dawgs; 11-12-2013 at 08:55 AM.
    Jim<><
    '04 XC70 AWD CrossCountry 2.5T
    '99 Land Rover Discovery I (sold )
    '86 Saab 900i (sold a long time ago...)

Finished application photos:

Name:	Items Purchased.jpg 
Views:	377 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	5632 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Clip Installed (1).jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	5633 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Corner Mould Trimmed and Installed.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	5634 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Tubing & Corner Moulding LH.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	5635 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Tubing & Corner Moulding RH.jpg 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	5636

I'll give a progress report on how it works out. I have a road trip coming up in a couple of months that will certainly put it to the test as far as highway speeds go. At this point though I'm very satisfied with the way it turned out. Hope this helps someone else out.
    Last edited by 9dawgs; 11-12-2013 at 08:55 AM.
    Jim<><
    '04 XC70 AWD CrossCountry 2.5T
    '99 Land Rover Discovery I (sold )
    '86 Saab 900i (sold a long time ago...)

I know a couple years later, but I find this a helpful and very acceptable idea for the windshield rubber area.

Thanks for posting this. Needed an idea for the XC70 we just picked up.

JB

Quote Originally Posted by lonestarmedic View Post
    I know a couple years later, but I find this a helpful and very acceptable idea for the windshield rubber area.

Thanks for posting this. Needed an idea for the XC70 we just picked up.

JB
    Heck I just picked up another XC70 Yesterday and I'm about to do this to it.

Thanks for keeping this thread alive!

Quote Originally Posted by 9dawgs View Post

I'll give a progress report on how it works out. I have a road trip coming up in a couple of months that will certainly put it to the test as far as highway speeds go. At this point though I'm very satisfied with the way it turned out. Hope this helps someone else out.
    So how has it held up? In hindsight would you recommend anything different?

Use "303 Rubber Seal Protectant and Conditioner for Weather Seals" from time to time and the seals are like new.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

Default Any Update?

Quote Originally Posted by 9dawgs View Post

How did it do on the road trip? How long did it last?