Default thinking of moving to smaller wagon

Thinking of moving to a smaller wagon. I was focusing my search on a V50 based on consumer reports, etc. Then I asked my mechanic and he told me that the prior generation V40 is a much better car with higher quality parts. He only works on volvos so I assume he knows what he is talking about.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

The newest v40 you can get is a 2004. The v50/s40 was made 2004.5 - 2011? The v40 will have 100 to 200k on it and will should have had a long list of stuff replaced (axles, variable ex timing pulley, engine mounts, brake booster switch, upper hose, front sway bar brackets, strut cushions/bearings, fuel pressure regulator, front brake hoses, climate control problems). The v50's we are not seeing many problems with - (compressors, front engine mount, wheel bearings, washer pumps) and IMHO appear to be more reliable than the s/v40's from 99 to 2004. Perhaps they are just not as old - yet.

Yes, there are some ford parts on the 04.5 up cars. But the 99-04 was a partnership with another manufacturer also. (Mitsubishi?)
    Last edited by hoonk; 10-28-2013 at 12:02 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks for your response. I ended up buying a 2002 v70 T5 from the mechanic who works on my wife's Volvo. I was apprehensive about the ECT and the transmission but he assured me that both had already been replaced. The only V50s I could find in my price range were in really bad shape and needed tons of deferred maintenance. Maybe next time I am looking I will find one. I really like the way the V50 handles.

Default so far, so good

The v70 t5 has been pretty good so far. I hooked up a yatour bluetooth gizmo to the stock hu-613. I still worry about the ECT and the crappy slushbox but I tend to be a car hypochondriac. I have had some issues with the ignition cylinder so I am go to try to take apart the steering column and fix it following these instructions today, despite the bitter cold http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...p=97472#p97472

I am still hunting for a v50/v40 that I could eventually turn over to one of my sons.