17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I have oil consumption 1 qt/1000 miles or more

1 5.88%
  • No, I don't have any consumption

9 52.94%
  • I have oil consumption less then 1qt/1000 miles

7 41.18%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 3.2L oil consumption (info collecting thread)

I decided to open thread for 3.2l oil consumption thread. I read on swedespeed that is such problem exist and very wide. I don't believe that is such big problem let collect info, how many has this problem.
    I don't have this problem.
    Year 2008
    Model XC70
    Mileage 60,000
    Oil intervals 5,000- 7,000 miles
    Location N.VA

I put down that I don't have any consumption.
    Not really true as I do lose some oil between oil changes which I try to do every 8,000 KM (5,000 miles). I loose about 1/2 liter in those kilometers. I would consider this more than normal. If I went the full interval that the service indicator wants I am sure that it would go to 1 liter over the 12,000 km and I would still call it normal. I am still somewhat old school and just don't like the idea of 12k km intervals so I do the 8,000km intervals. Oil is cheap compared to a new engine.

A quart in 1,000 miles is certainly abnormal though, in any engine.

Quote Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
    I put down that I don't have any consumption.
    Not really true as I do lose some oil between oil changes which I try to do every 8,000 KM (5,000 miles). I loose about 1/2 liter in those kilometers. I would consider this more than normal. If I went the full interval that the service indicator wants I am sure that it would go to 1 liter over the 12,000 km and I would still call it normal. I am still somewhat old school and just don't like the idea of 12k km intervals so I do the 8,000km intervals. Oil is cheap compared to a new engine.

A quart in 1,000 miles is certainly abnormal though, in any engine.
    I checked mine yesterday and it was almost perfect level after 3,000 miles on oil change. Yes it’s certainly after 5,000 or more miles it will lose some oil, but nothing like 1 qt /1000 miles.
    The third option is if you are adding any amount between oil changes, meaning you got oil level light or you saw oil level almost at min mark.
    I also stop by my dealer (Don Beyer) and asked SA about this problem he said a lot XC60 has this problem , he saw couple XC90, but none of XC70 so far. Also he said if I didn’t have until now oil problem (60,000) then it should not be happen. In the most cases it’s happening at lower mileage., whenever this means.

I have oil consumption less then 1qt/1000 miles.

I think more than that is a little over.
    "What you allow is what will continue." steven barbarich

2008 XC 70, No oil consumption, 90,000 miles, 6,000 - 9,000 mile interval, Montana

Kris
    2008 XC 70 - 90,000 miles
    Bilstein struts
    Active Bi-Xenon lights
    trans flushed with Shell Spirax S5 ATF X - Lubeguard Platinum
    NGK laser welded Iridium plugs
    ALWAYS 0w40 Mobil 1 with a German made Mann filter

Low tension narrow piston rings are the norm in engines now due to the reduced friction. Since the tension is less grungy oil deposits can stick the rings in ring grooves. Several makes are seeing oil consumption issues on some of their cars when the use of the car sludges oil before the specified normal change interval. Even the cars using an elaborate algorithm to determine when oil is serviced still see some of these problems.

You might want to find a Land Rover LR2 forum and ask the same question. That vehicle uses the same 3.2 liter engine used in this vehicle.
    14xc60 3.0T
    03xc70 (Killed 12/16)
    1998 v70 (retired)

2011 xc60 only put maybe 200 miles, down by a bit, almost dry dipstick

I have bought a warranty that covers engine trans etc, what steps do you think will allow a rebuild?

My oil change interval is 7,500 miles

I'm at 110,000 miles (about 15 oil changes, the first 7 were by the dealer)

I've owned my LR2 since new in 2008

Never added a drop

My Oil of choice: Mobil 1 0W-40

Using the same oil in my A4 2.0T I burn 1/2 Quart to 1 Quart every 5,000 miles

Thanks

Paul

2008 LR2 3.2 (I mean XC70 clone)

PS most of the LR2 sales world wide were diesel powered, If I have question about my 3.2 I search the Volvo forums, the Land Rover forum is very useful for anything shared between the Gasoline and Diesel versions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast