Default Symptoms of bad coil packs MY04

Are there any symptoms to look for if I suspect a bad coil pack? My '04 has about 125K on it and has had about 8 start failures over the past few months. When the key is turned and released, the car fails to start until the second attempt. No codes showing. Also when cruising along, there is a noticeable surge, not related to the a/c compressor kicking on and off. Just did a full tune up at 90K. Suggestions?

Thanks.

Bad coil= actual misfire
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

when my coils started to go I would get a pretty heavy shutter when accelerating hard.
    I was also experiencing starting issue similar to what you mentioned, but I related those to the age of the battery; and they've gone away once I put the new battery in.
    Thor - 2004 XC70 (225k and going strong!)
    Gunnar - 2013 C30 T5 - Traded in on...
    Ty - 2013 S60 R-Design!!

Yeah, I guess I'm a Volvo guy... ;-)

A bad pack shouldn't affect overall starting like a single old school coil would.

I would say your problem lies on the fuel delivery side, starting with a nearly clogged fuel filter.