Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Hi there. Was at the local Volvo dealer today looking at a '16 XC60 w/ just under 13k miles on it. It is FWD. Not AWD, which has me a little concerned as I've become kinda married to living with AWD. My '03 XC70 has 338k miles on it, needs a cat, and the dash disappeared on me this week. No biggie as I have speedo and odometer (for fuel gauge) via the Nuvi. But I still love the car. Live in Northeast (NJ). Question is, will I miss the AWD if I get the FWD 60? I'm not an off roader and I no longer ski east coast, but I do have to do some snow driving.....assuming we ever see snow again. From a bells and whistles standpoint the 60 is utterly fantastic. Wife loves it too.....of course.
    Alternative is a '16 V60 wagon (AWD) they have with under 10k miles at about same cost (32k). I loved the way it drove, but man is it way smaller than my XC70. Not sure I can handle that.
    Do you think I'll be happy with the FWD XC60 after my XC70?
    Any feedback appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tgwillard View Post
    So far I am finding I get better mileage on my XC60 T6 than I did on my T5 XC70. With normal daily local driving I got about 23-24 MPG on the XC70 during summer months. So far on the T6 I am getting around 27 mpg for the same local driving.
    Nope...don't believe it. Must be downhill both ways!

With over 14k on the XC60, I am now averaging about 24.5 mpg in the summer. My wife's 2005 S80 FWD has been getting about 27 mpg in summer driving.
    2006 XC70 Ruby Red, mfg 03/06 (traded)
    2005 S80 Ash Gold, mfg 11/04
    2016 XC60 T6 mfg 04/15

The FWD 60 I had been looking at disappeared and I just picked up a 2013 T6 AWD w/ about 37k miles on it, CPO. My '03 XC70, now at 342k miles will go off to some form of retirement shortly. If anyone is looking for a parts car let me know. Wheels and all body panels are in excellent shape. Tranny not so much. I will miss that car deeply. I'd keep it forever if I could.
    The 60 is just loaded with things and the first three days have been pretty good. I'm a little concerned that my local indy isn't as comfy with 60's as he is with 70's but I will use him as much as possible. A few things I have noticed about the 60 vs the 70:
    - front seats seem deeper, which is less comfortable on the back of the thighs than my 70 was. Still playing with positions.
    - initial mileage seems to be about 20.5 Thirstier than my 70 was. But quicker.
    - not the sharpest nav system I've ever seen. Programmed by a sadist. Still tweaking settings.
    - bummed that TPMS won't display pressure reading, only low warning
    - the xenons are giant leap over the headlamps I had in my 70.
    - nice to have a working dash panel again, though I think the 70's gauges were nicer (when they worked)
    - never thought I'd ever buy a red car, but the Flamenco Red is pretty sharp looking

Hoping to hold onto this as long as I did the 70, and that this forum will prove as useful for this car as it had been for the last. Really a great asset and much appreciated.
    Regards to all.

We formally signed the paperwork today for an XC60 T6 and will pick it up tomorrow. Replacing a 2003 XC70 that did its job protecting my son from a drunk driver.
    14xc60 3.0T
    03xc70 (Killed 12/16)
    1998 v70 (retired)

So now 3-1/2 months and 7k miles into my '13 XC60 T6/3.0 and my mileage is hanging in the 20.5 - 22 mpg range. Just a bit thirstier than my '03XC70 was. I do use Sport mode on occasion,, particularly on-ramps. Car is wildly faster than the 2.5 XC70 was. Only complaints so far are:
    - serious lack of knick-knack storage
    - even with updated nav data the nav system can't think it's way out of a parking lot. Awful routing.
    - no engine temp gauge.... just wrong
    Otherwise pretty good car and easily one of the sharpest looking midsize x-overs out there.

One more thing though....
    I get flashed by oncoming drivers ALL the time. Dealer tells me that the lights are properly aligned and that they cannot be adjusted but this cannot be so. I completely light up the interior of any car in front of me that doesn't have a high tailgate section, and even low beams light up trees. Anybody have a diagram of the alignment adjustments for the '13 with Xenon lamps?
    Last edited by NJ03XC; 01-17-2017 at 10:49 AM. Reason: update

Quote Originally Posted by NJ03XC View Post
    So now 3-1/2 months and 7k miles into my '13 XC60 T6/3.0 and my mileage is hanging in the 20.5 - 22 mpg range. Just a bit thirstier than my '03XC70 was. I do use Sport mode on occasion,, particularly on-ramps. Car is wildly faster than the 2.5 XC70 was. Only complaints so far are:
    - serious lack of knick-knack storage
    - even with updated nav data the nav system can't think it's way out of a parking lot. Awful routing.
    - no engine temp gauge.... just wrong
    Otherwise pretty good car and easily one of the sharpest looking midsize x-overs out there.

One more thing though....
    I get flashed by oncoming drivers ALL the time. Dealer tells me that the lights are properly aligned and that they cannot be adjusted but this cannot be so. I completely light up the interior of any car in front of me that doesn't have a high tailgate section, and even low beams light up trees. Anybody have a diagram of the alignment adjustments for the '13 with Xenon lamps?
    Have you tried DIY adjusting?
    14xc60 3.0T
    03xc70 (Killed 12/16)
    1998 v70 (retired)

Default another update

About a year and a half since my last update. The car now has ~133k miles on her. Replaced upper engine torque mount and passenger side lower engine mount at 123k miles, I was noticing rough intermittent engine vibration. Replaced spark plugs and ignition coil for Cyl. 6 about a month ago. CEL came on a couple times and P0306 (IIRC) code on OBDII. Noticeable rough idle sometimes but car never became un-driveable. Currently hearing a slight squeal from either the belts or pulleys when the car is idling. My indy mechanic didn't seem too concerned when I brought it up to him, belts look to be in good condition. I will keep an eye on this. Also dealing with persistent battery drain issue...(see my reply post on 2008+ XC70 forum).

Hope everyone is enjoying their Volvos, drive safe
    Last edited by chik; 04-17-2017 at 01:11 PM.
    2010 XC60 Polestar T6 AWD
    2001 Volvo V70 XC (traded- in)
    1985 Volvo DL (died 280K mi.)
    1998 BMW M3/4 (rear-ended by cabbie...totaled)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123