Default Clogged front sunroof drain

2008 XC70
    What can I do to unclog the right front sunroof drain? Volvo wants $1400 to take the dash out
    to get to the problem. They tell me the clog is toward the bottom and can't get to it from under
    the car. Any thoughts?
    Carl in NJ

Search around on google. It's a common problem on various Volvo models. In short, there's a soft line that joins a metal line in the footwell/A-pillar area. This gets clogged and/or separates. I believe it is accessible by pulling back the carpet.

[edit] https://www.google.com/search?q=volv...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Quote Originally Posted by ccutler View Post
    2008 XC70
    What can I do to unclog the right front sunroof drain? Volvo wants $1400 to take the dash out
    to get to the problem. They tell me the clog is toward the bottom and can't get to it from under
    the car. Any thoughts?
    Carl in NJ
    LOOOL What?

This was one of the easiest projects ever.
    1. get a normal garden hose
    2. go to a retic/garden shop and source some parts to convert your regular garden hose fitment to a 4mm poly hose.
    3. connect all up and feed 1' of 4mm poly hose into rof drain holes.
    4. turn on hose and gently flush up debris.
    5. turn off hose when you see debris and lots of water gushing out from front guards.
    6. send me $1400 for free advice

parts needed:

garden hose

hose to 1/2 1"poly fitting / 19mm Pipe Saddle

1' of 19mm poly pipe

19mm saddle to 4mm saddle

4mm poly tube

water:

Great reply Ocean Racer! I came across this thread as my 02 XC had the same problem. Trouble was another storm was coming and I did not have the requisite tubing and connectors or the time to run to the hardware store. I do however have an air compressor. I put the rubber tip on my air trigger attachment (see pic) which sealed nicely to the sunroof drain plug. A quick shot of air and the tube was flowing freely again.

Hopefully this did the trick and there isn't a leak from someplace else!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Air Trigger.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	5295

Usually a thin (soft and flexible) wire like a 14 gauge speaker wire, gently push it down into the drain hole, usually about an inch or so will do it.
    The sleeve is thin, take care not to puncture it (which is why only an inch or so)
    Then take an ounce or two of water and slowly try to pour it into the front part of the sunroof.
    If it's cleared, the water will go right down
    It's pretty rare to get a clog at the bottom but even if so, they usually unplug by just running water through it
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Default Drains .. Alternate easy fix

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Usually a thin (soft and flexible) wire like a 14 gauge speaker wire, gently push it down into the drain hole, usually about an inch or so will do it.
    The sleeve is thin, take care not to puncture it (which is why only an inch or so)
    Then take an ounce or two of water and slowly try to pour it into the front part of the sunroof.
    If it's cleared, the water will go right down

It's pretty rare to get a clog at the bottom but even if so, they usually unplug by just running water through it

TAKS SOME STRINGTRIMMER LINE... (IE WEED EATER)... SLOWLY...CAREFULLY INSERT IN THE HOLE FROM ABOVE AND feed it down.. you can tell the length should be down to about the mirror.. then the world takes a strange turn.. that said....

i had back up and did this on both ssides of volvo and also a vw and cleared it right out.. yes. they want to disassemble the entire car to do it..

dont be rough with the pushing as you can disconect a fitting... just a gentle push and turn it while pushing...

hope it works for you.....