Default Coolant Leak / Low Level Warning After A/C Repair

I noticed coolant leaking after the A/C condenser was replaced last week. I point this out to the garage and when my wife drove the car home she noticed the warning message "Coolant level low. See manual" Initially I thought the garage had not topped up the coolant after replacing the condenser - said they needed to remove the top radiator hose. I topped up the antifreeze with proper Volvo antifreeze 50% solution, but the level goes down and the warning message re-appears. The leak, identical to when I picked up the car is coming from the lower hose connection on the driver's side. I've booked an appointment tomorrow, but my worst fears are they somehow cracked the plastic radiator housing or what appears to be a plastic drain-cock on the driver's side of the radiator. Any similar experience or horror stories? Also, is there a special way to kill the warning message? I thought the coolant sensor should reset itself when the reservoir is topped up.

The message should go away when the coolant level is good. If the level keeps dropping the message will come on/stay on.

It is possible that the shop did something that has caused the leak. Anything from not tightening a clamp or the drain cock to causing physical damage causing the leak. With you pointing it out to the shop when you picked the car up you are ahead of the game. If they are a good honest shop they will step up to the plate if it is something that they did.

Yes, exactly what I thought but it will be interesting to find out how honest the garage is. I strongly suspect they were a little rough when they did the A/C repair. Since I did not ask specifically what they had to remove, I'll have to trust the mechanic to fess up. I observed the leak to be a drip when cold and diminishes as the coolant heats up, or the plastic expands. It looks as if the hoses fit over the plastic radiator inlet/outlet and smaller hoses enter what seems to be an aluminum contraption (oil cooler) that is mounted onto the condenser. I do hope it's just a connection problem and not a more serious fault. I'll let the forum know how I make out tomorrow.

With a little sleuthing, I think the seals at the oil cooler, that attaches to the condenser is where the leak occurs. Either they did not replace the seals or did not seat the oil cooler properly. I'll be going to the garage this afternoon to see if my hunch is correct.
    Last edited by CVOLVO; 07-05-2013 at 06:07 AM.

Smile Good News; Bad News: The saga continues

Last Thursday, I took the car into the garage to allow them to diagnose the coolant leak. The mechanic who replaced the A/C was scheduled to be away, so I consented to leave the car until he returned this Wednesday. He could not isolate the coolant leak and they did not have the proper cap to allow a pressure test. That did arrive today and somewhat as expected, the radiator is leaking. It was a red herring about the oil cooler - it does not interface with the condenser.

At closing time today (Friday) I received a call, confirming the radiator is leaking. The good news is the garage assumes responsibility and will replace my radiator and all other diagnostic work at no cost to me. The service manager admitted that likely the radiator was damaged while the A/C condenser was being replaced. Of course they need to order in the radiator and this will take me into mid-week before I get my car back.

I also did see on other Volvo forums that Volvo UK will replace an A/C condenser up to 5 years from date of purchase. When I contacted my Volvo dealership (Ottawa, Canada), they had not heard of this extended warranty, but did suggest I retain my invoices just in case.

So the moral is if your A/C starts to fail gradually, it's likely leaking from the nylon cap on the condenser. I know a private garage is less expensive than the dealership, but warn them to be extra careful in doing the repair, unless they want to pay for a new radiator + labour. I'll try to add images in text posting.
    Last edited by CVOLVO; 07-13-2013 at 04:34 AM.

Here's the picture of the initial condenser leak:

The diagram of the radiator; leak around bottom on driver's side, behind the oil cooler (11):

Fully repaired at independent garage's expense

Finally picked up my XC70, with a new original Volvo replacement radiator and replaced condenser. It appears the initial replacement condenser was too thick and scored the radiator when it was installed, hence causing the coolant leak. The radiator could not be repaired and the over-thick condenser was damaged as well. Although this took 3 weeks to repair, I'm satisfied with the job and was somewhat sympathetic with the garage. Naturally there was absolutely no charge for this final repair. So, if you're faced with a similar situation, warn the after-market garage of these potential problems.