Default battery maintenance

I just bought a 2004 XC70, its my first Volvo and first European car. I was surprised to read in the manual I found online that this thing uses a water battery!

While sitting in the driveway today with the door open and key in position 2, the text message screen said the battery was low, after only 5 minutes or so.

I unscrewed the 6 cell caps on the battery and could only see significant water levels in 2 of them. Should I fill the others? Is there a danger of over filling? How high up should the water go?

Until you see the water
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Have a look here http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/artic...ry-basics.html for plenty of good information about batteries, different types, maintenance, etc. There is nothing special about the battery in an XC70 - other than placement and external venting, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by DocMphd View Post
    Is there a danger of over filling? How high up should the water go?
    There is a small plastic lip at the bottom of each well, fill the water till it's just covering the lip then charge the battery overnight. If the water levels are seriously low there's a good chance the lead is permanently sulfated and cannot be rejuvenated. A battery load test by your local autoparts store will determine the condition of your battery.

Why bother? This battery is now 8-9 years old. While the Volvo factory batteries seem long lived, it must be approaching end of life. Buy a new one, but be aware of the REQUIRED battery disconnect/reconnect sequence available on this forum and elsewhere.