Default Slight clunk when shifting between F and R; dealer says normal

I have noticed a slight clunking noise when shifting between forward and reverse in my 2007 XC-70 (74K miles). My dealer says it is normal and is caused by some gearing slack in the drive train. Do any of you experience this clunking and do you agree that it is normal too? Again it is not a major noise but it definitely sounds like I have some mechanical looseness in my drive train.

Not normal at all...suspect the upper engine mount and the lower torque mount. Both are common failure points, I've done both on both my P2 Volvos.

Both are very easy DIY replacements. I have simply bought mounts from IPD (cheaper than my dealer...and they now have a polyurethane lower mount that I will try when I next have to replace the lower mount).

It's common in every Volvo I've ever owned to have to replace engine mounts every 50 - 75 thousand miles...don't know why...just happens to be common...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

100% agree. I'm actually on my third set of upper and right-hand mounts on my XC. Ever since I replaced the lower mount's small bush with a poly one, I haven't had any trouble with that one. It does appear to me though that driving on crap roads like I do the mounts take a bit more of a beating which does make some sense, I suppose, versus them wearing out entirely from engine torque loads.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

I'm sorry guys but I disagree.
    I've owned and sold more of these cars than I want to remember and with over 50-70K miles most will clunk A LITTLE going back and forth from drive to reverse.

Both of mine clunk a hair and ALL the mounts are very new in both of my AWD V70s with higher miles
    (108 and 114K)
    Everything is just a bit worn and there will be some normal axle play that wasn't there when new.

Of course with all new motor mounts the clunking will be much more subdued and not always there but at time it will still clunk (or a better term, clank and click).
    Some of this can be his front axle bolts

To the OP; If you stop in neutral while shifting for a second, what does it do?
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

It is also a sloppy fit on a front half shafts splines coming out of transmission.
    There is a bulletin about it and the fix is to use some kind of grease/glue on them BUT they will be much harder to remove when they need to be changed.
    So, it could be mounts and also splines.
    Both of mine, '06(60k) & '07(58k) do this and all mounts are in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    I'm sorry guys but I disagree.
    I've owned and sold more of these cars than I want to remember and with over 50-70K miles most will clunk A LITTLE going back and forth from drive to reverse.

Both of mine clunk a hair and ALL the mounts are very new in both of my AWD V70s with higher miles
    (108 and 114K)
    Everything is just a bit worn and there will be some normal axle play that wasn't there when new.

Of course with all new motor mounts the clunking will be much more subdued and not always there but at time it will still clunk (or a better term, clank and click).
    Some of this can be his front axle bolts

To the OP; If you stop in neutral while shifting for a second, what does it do?
    No, you're right. I would suggest that depending on degree, it could be no more than what some cars have new. We obviously don't know since we aren't sitting in it. I have to say that on my '02 there is a bit of clunk even with new mounts but it hasn't seemed to have changed any since the last time I put mounts in it. And it isn't that much more than the last low mileage FWD S60 that I tried out. Bottom line, it's not something I'm worried about (I probably have other things that I should be worried about instead).

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff