Default coolant dissapears then reapears in 2001 v70xc

When cold, my reservoir coolant level is at max line. after the car warms up for a while (1 hour, the temp gauge never goes over the 1/2 way mark at 12o'clock),and the low coolant warning comes on. The coolant has just gone DOWN to the min line. If I rest it for a moment and slowly let the pressure out of the tank the coolant rises back up to max.I tried overfilling the tank temporarily to cover the top 5/8" hose and there are bubbles coming out of that hose. What does it all mean. Am I looking for a leaking head gasket causing extra pressure? No smoke out of tail pipe... no residue in coolant , no mud in oil...I haven't done a compression check or leak down test. A friend told me to stop worring and let the thing bleed out alll the air???

Was the coolant changed recently? Air will bleed out pretty quick after coolant change in my experience with this car. Need to top off within a few blocks and then all is done.

Is the temp gauge always at about 12 o'clock when warm? I think just a tad left of 12 o'clock from the cars I've seen. Thats where the temp needs to be on this car. If the gauge is lower than that, something is wrong. I had a temp gauge that showed about 2/3 way to 12 o'clock and turned out to be a bad thermostat.

Oh, thermostat is a cheap ($10+ online) and easy change on the 01s. You might try that. Indys replace that thermostat at 30k tuneups since the 850s.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Quote Originally Posted by baldyjones View Post
    When cold, my reservoir coolant level is at max line. after the car warms up for a while (1 hour, the temp gauge never goes over the 1/2 way mark at 12o'clock),and the low coolant warning comes on. The coolant has just gone DOWN to the min line. If I rest it for a moment and slowly let the pressure out of the tank the coolant rises back up to max.I tried overfilling the tank temporarily to cover the top 5/8" hose and there are bubbles coming out of that hose. What does it all mean. Am I looking for a leaking head gasket causing extra pressure? No smoke out of tail pipe... no residue in coolant , no mud in oil...I haven't done a compression check or leak down test. A friend told me to stop worring and let the thing bleed out alll the air???

Sorry, you have a head gasket leaking air into the cooling system. It will press air into the cooling system forcing the water down in the overflow tank.

Time for a head gasket job.

Have you checked the heater core inside the cabin? is your carpet wet on the passenger side?
    2002 V70XC w/volvoXC.com stickers! MTE Stage 3+