Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Engine runs rough

Newb here, though I have flushed the tranny

My wife was driving yesterday and the car started knocking badly. She went to autozone and pulled the codes. It had:

P0132 - O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
    P0234 - Turbocharger (TC) control valve
    P0301 - Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
    P2187 - Long-term fuel trim?
    P2407 - Evaporative Emission System Leak Detection Pump Sense Circuit Intermittent/Erratic (gas cap?)
    P0700 - Transmission Control Function
    P0704 - Clutch Switch Input Circuit Malfunction

The car idles rough and seems to be really rough when you rev the engine. For some background, I think the P07XX codes are older codes from the tranny. I flushed it due to having the 'Transmission Service Required' light, which is no longer in by the way.

I reseated the gas cap just in case. No change.

I hope it is a single problem causing this problem, and obviously that the single problem isn't going to cost me $5K. O2 sensor maybe?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

PS. I have a 2003 XC70 with 192K miles. Been a great car, but the expensive repairs are starting to get a little old, which is why I am trying to learn to do them myself.

Thats a lot of different stuff on this code list. This car stores all the codes it ever encountered unless someone clears it. Every car I've put my Volvo VIDA/DiCE tool on gave a full fault code report for several years. Many of them are no longer active. All codes basically will come with the following info but probably need the Volvo tool to get the details

When it occurred, how many times it occurred since the first time, when was the last time it occurred

Don't know what diag tool autozone uses but I wonder if they are pulling out all the codes including the currently inactive ones.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

I would check the coil pack first.

DYZ
    2005 Volvo XC70, Ash Gold, 210K miles

Clear the codes, drive, then pull codes again, see what stuck.

I am going to change the spark plugs and changeout the coil on the 1st cylinder.

Dumb question. Do I have to take it to a dealer to clear the codes? I know there is a way to clear the service light. Do I just do that?

No. Disconnect the positive lead from your battery and place it to ground for twenty seconds. Dumps the data to ground. Harmless.

Sweet, I will do that after the plugs tomorrow. Thanks!

Another question. This item is in front of my air filter housing. My wife found it was open yesterday. What is it? Is there supposed to be something in it? Enclosed are two pics...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0764.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	4495Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0761.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	4494

I loaded two pics; there is an item forward of the air filter housing. It is plastic, and unscrews. When all this happened, my wife looked under the hood and saw it was apart. We screwed it back together. Do you know what it is, and is there supposed to be something inside of it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast