Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Troubleshooting blue smoke on a 2001 XC70

A few days ago the XC70 started to show blue smoke under load. Also the engine threw a few faultcodes.

The faultcodes were misfires detected on the first cylinder. This is probably caused by a bad coilpack. We changed it and the car is running smooth.

Now the problem with the blue smoke remains. When I check the turbo there is some oil hanging under it. Also when I do the latex glove trick on the dipsticktube it blows some air in the glove. When you rev the engine more air gets pushed into the glove.

We did a compression test on it and that all looks quite good. Also no oil in the coolant or vice versa.

When the engine gets warm some smoke flows from the area where the exhaust manifold sits. Can't really see where it comes from.

The AA guy thought it might be a blown turbo or a blown headgasket.

Can you guys point me in the right direction??

Should I start with cleaning the oil return pipe and the PCV system? What is involved in cleaning the PCV system?

The blue smoke is oil being burned by the engine...and lots of it if you can see the blue smoke!

You don't really clean the PCV system as much as replace the components - and you need to do this ASAP. The AA guy? Who is that, exactly? He's completely wrong, by the way...it is the PCV (flame trap) system...it looks like this: http://www.ipdusa.com/products/4988/...v70-xc70-turbo

Directions/description here: http://www.freewebs.com/howardsvolvos/engine.htm (scroll down).

Let me guess...bought it used, it gets 5W30 oil...but you don't know what kind, exactly, just as long as it's 5W30...right?
    Last edited by Astro14; 09-15-2012 at 06:25 PM.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Also did you change plugs?
    That previously fouled cylinder now has a fouled plug
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

why cant i reply?!

Quote Originally Posted by DutchXC View Post
    When I check the turbo there is some oil hanging under it.
    Can come from lots of places, including oil line, air intake and charged air tube coupling.

Should I start with cleaning the oil return pipe and the PCV system? What is involved in cleaning the PCV system?
    Start with the PCV system. Remove the components and clean out with kerosene, or replace with new components if you wish. I just replaced the crankcase hoses. You need to remove the intake manifold to access the breather box attached to the front of the crankcase, look for detailed howtos on this site and others.

We ordered all parts to overhaul the PCV system. Is there any way to check the turbo and take it out of the equasion?

Quote Originally Posted by sjonnie View Post
    Can come from lots of places, including oil line, air intake and charged air tube coupling.

Start with the PCV system. Remove the components and clean out with kerosene, or replace with new components if you wish. I just replaced the crankcase hoses. You need to remove the intake manifold to access the breather box attached to the front of the crankcase, look for detailed howtos on this site and others.

Is there any way to check the turbo and take it out of the equasion?
    From your description, it sounds like the turbo itself is fine, a blown turbo smokes like crazy out the tailpipe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wXH9ScKIgI

Do your PCV job and see how much crud is in the crankcase drain & banjo bolt. If they're totally chocked up you might want to check the turbo return line. Otherwise I'd just do the PCV job and check the turbo hoses and go from there.

Yesterday we took apart the PCV system and that was FULL of carbon buildup. Both ports from the flametrap to the engine were cloged and the small hose from the inlet manifold to the complicated hose was blocked. We still need to build everything back to the car, but this should be atleast one problem down!

@ astro14 we currently have Shell Helix Ultra 0W30 full synthetic in the engine. Still looks clean after 10k miles. What would you recommend?

@JRL the plugs were changed 10k miles ago. Would you recommend a new one on the coil that failed? The plugs are Bosch Irridium @ $30.00+ a piece...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast