Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Angle Gear Question

Hi- I'm hoping I can get some insight on an issue that came up yesterday with our 2005 Volvo XC70. I foolishly had a lapse of judgement and took my vehicle into the dealership for an oil change. Of course I got the dreaded phone call letting me know that there was work needed on my vehicle. The issue that came up is the angle gear leaking fluid. They also noted that three of the four tires were mounted incorrectly (inside out, so the inside is facing out and vice versa). Back on April 19th, I had taken my vehicle to a well-recommended tire and service center for 4 new Michelin Defender tires. The tire center mounted and balanced the tires but informed me that they would not be able to do the alignment for me since Volvo requires a special bar for mounting. I have no idea if this is true, but I decided to have the dealership do the alignment which I had scheduled immediately after having the tires put on. At this time during the alignment Volvo never noticed the tires mounted incorrectly.

So, my question that my husband and are wondering is if it's possible that having the tires mounted incorrectly could have caused the angle gear issue? The angle gear is leaking from the transfer case. It's leaking between the two pieces of the case, pretty badly. I called the transmission place where the vehicle is about to be going to get looked at and I could tell they were hesitant to say anything. I would think that since it's AWD and all four tires needed to be replaced, that improper installation could very well cause issues, especially after driving around like this for two months.

So, right now the vehicle is at the tire place and they did admit that the tires were mounted incorrectly and they have fixed that issue. I asked them if having them mounted inside out like that could cause problems with the tires and they assured me no. Volvo gave me a price of $1200+ to reseal the leak, which I think is pretty high. They were about $200+ more on the tires when I was having them quoted, so I try to avoid the dealership if I can. They said to replace the parts brand new would be closer to $2500. I am having two other places take a look at the issue to see if they can fix it. I don't mind shopping around, but I also don't want to waste time if the price is going to be comparable to Volvo's. What is a reasonable price to fix this issue?

I have 86,121 miles on the vehicle. Thanks for any insight.

Unrelated issues.

The angle gear problem is well-known and common in the P2 generation Volvo's. You could have this done for considerably less by taking your car to a reliable independent shop.
    It's common for the cars to develop this leak at 50,000-100,000 miles. You should look at the case yourself though.

Does it have a thin film of oil, or is it actively leaking drops of oil. If it's a thin film, you can clean the casing yourself, drain the oil and refill it. Check it regularly and drain/refill every 30K and you might be fine. You mentioned you had a lot of oil, so this might not apply.

As far as the tires go; whether they are mounted correctly or not, their rolling diameter would be the same. It is a difference in diameter that causes problems with the angle gear. With that said, however, it is really only a problem with the older VC-type AWD systems and problem or no, it would not cause a leaking case regardless of what system you have. So bottom line is that there is no way your tire place can be held responsible for a leaking angle gear case. Sorry.

Now as far as the leaking case is concerned, a couple of simple things can be tried to possibly alleviate the problem. First, simply checking the tightness of the bolts that hold the two halves of the case together can reduce seepage. Secondly and perhaps most importantly, many shops appear to be unaware of the proper procedure for filling the case with lube. So if you have had fluid done recently, the correct method is to fill the case to the bottom of the fill hole, THEN remove 150-200ml to obtain proper level. Failing to do that will cause the fluid to be forced out of the vent and the seam causing what looks to be a major leak. In some cases, it can actually create a major leak if allowed to be overfilled for any length of time. Finally, if indeed a re-seal is necessary, it is a job any COMPETENT mechanic can handle so a $1200 price tag is an unreasonable (but typical dealership) charge.

Good luck,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

That's not really true
    They ALL leak (except for 2007s which have been assembled in a different manner and really tightening doesn't do anything.
    Has to come apart, the joint beveled and then put back together.

$1200 is too high, most dealer's charge about $900.

I just had one done at the dealer for $700 even, parts and labor .

There is a near $200 (retail) part bill for the various seals needed.
    and it's a 5+ hour flat rate job
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    That's not really true
    They ALL leak (except for 2007s which have been assembled in a different manner and really tightening doesn't do anything
    Gee, mine doesn't leak. It seeps an oily film over the housing a bit but never an actual drop seen in 317K kms. Of course, mine has never been overfilled either.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Thank you all for the information you provided. At least I have a general idea of what I should be looking to pay. I honestly didn't think the tires being mounted incorrectly would have caused this issue, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. As for the leak, I have a transmission place looking at it right now and I'm hoping to hear a more reasonable price from them, but I also want to have another place take a look at it as well. We won't be getting this repaired tomorrow as we had a trip planned tomorrow and I merely was just looking to get the oil changed and fluids topped off and tire pressure checked prior to the trip. We will be taking my husband's not so comfortable truck instead, which I'm not looking forward to. Thanks again for the info. I often come to this site when issues arise on my vehicle. When the "bulb failure position light" came on my dash and I couldn't figure out what it was from my manual, I came here and got the info. to change the bulb myself. This is a very useful site for Volvo owners. Thanks again.

Do not have a tranny shop look at it or do the work!
    There is a special filing/chafing process off of a VOLVO TNN on how to do this properly

Doing it this way, (the proper way), ensures that most probably it will never leak again.
    That's why 07s usually don't ever leak, this is the way they came from the factory (with the new sealing process).

As long as it's topped up, you can take your trip, nothing bad will happen

2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Do not have a tranny shop look at it or do the work!
    There is a special filing/chafing process off of a VOLVO TNN on how to do this properly

Doing it this way, (the proper way), ensures that most probably it will never leak again.
    That's why 07s usually don't ever leak, this is the way they came from the factory (with the new sealing process).

As long as it's topped up, you can take your trip, nothing bad will happen
    Really? The tire place and the transmission place made it seem like it wasn't a good idea to keep driving around on it. Clearly my husband and I are not mechanics. We try to ask questions and research issues that may come up with our vehicles, but we generally always feel taken after getting work done. The transmission place gave us a quote that was better than the dealership, but still seemed high after reading the general range in pricing below. He estimated about $850. He had gotten the specs for the part from the Volvo dealership and walked my husband and I through the steps the mechanic will take. He did say it will have to be taken apart and reassembled, which is where the hourly rate comes in. He seemed nice enough, but so did those guys at the tire place that installed the tires inside out. I have a call into another mechanic to take a look at it when we get back in 2 1/2 weeks. Is this special filing/chafing process something that most mechanics are aware of, or should I advise him of it? We've accepted the fact that we will be taking the truck on this trip. The idea of breaking down stresses me out too much, since it's a lot of driving we will be doing. The Volvo is more practical and comfortable, but the truck has less miles on it.

It's not the parts, (many little parts) IT'S A SPECIAL PROCEDURE the Volvo mechanic does (the special filing and chafing the edges for a firm seal) and your tranny shop hasn't a clue what this is! I can guarantee you that.
    If they just reseal it, it will occur again and again.... unless done properly

I can also assure you that this is a job best left to a Volvo dealer, or a very, very good, competent independant that has the right tools to do the job. There is a dedicated angle gear overhaul kit that includes all the pullers, seal drivers, bevelling tool, sealant, etc., for doing the job. Be aware, also, that there is a one in twelve chance that the angle gear may not go back together without cracking the two case halves. Once the gear is taken apart, the bearing races may not go back in, or they may have spun themselves in the case, you may need all new bearings, or there may be distortion of the parts and/or case. BE PREPARED TO REPLACE THE ASSEMBLY IN ITS ENTIRETY, or have a good used one on hand to put in. There is also an updated case vent that has to be installed, plus, you're going to need a new splined coupler put in before the angle gear is bolted back on to the transmission. It is a six hour labour charge. The guys at the dealer have done lots of them and, when done correctly, will not leak again. This is a repair made available by Volvo, yet not endorsed by them. It is sort of an unofficial fix. Volvo, to this day, insists that the best repair is replacing the assembly, simply because of the risks mentioned above, and the issue of liability. If you're not the type to thrash or abuse the car, then you may very well be in luck and have a very satisfactory repair in the end. No one will know until it's taken out and stripped down.

Dave.
    Our Most Probable Fate Is Death !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast