Unhappy Help!! Rear judder and strange going ons with my xc70.

Hello,
    Looking for advice please. Left rear wheel at times has an awful judder and the wheel gets extremely hot. The wheel also sits far too far forward in the wheel arch. A friend who is a mechanic has looked at it and is baffled as he cannot appear to find the cause. Was hoping to find out if anyone has experienced symptons like this before and any theories on a solution. Its a 2000/2001 xc70 and apart from this the car is immaculate so i am keen on hopefully repairing this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Al.

Quote Originally Posted by algreen View Post
    Hello,
    Looking for advice please. Left rear wheel at times has an awful judder and the wheel gets extremely hot. The wheel also sits far too far forward in the wheel arch. A friend who is a mechanic has looked at it and is baffled as he cannot appear to find the cause. Was hoping to find out if anyone has experienced symptons like this before and any theories on a solution. Its a 2000/2001 xc70 and apart from this the car is immaculate so i am keen on hopefully repairing this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Al.
    As far as the judder and heat issues, take a look at the e-brake shoe on that side. I would bet that the shoe has either come apart or is in the process thereof and a bit of brake material is getting lodged somewhere within the hard parts causing a partial braking on that corner. As far as the wheel not sitting right within the wheel arch only a rear alignment would verify if it is within spec or not. Considering the age and if your roads aren't the greatest, there are a fair number of bushings in the rear suspension design that when worn could throw off the alignment. I would think though that you would see some evidence of this in the handling as well as tire wear.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff