Default Drivers visor will not stay up

Being the wife's car , I always get reports. Drivers visor will not stay up - pushing hard onto the shaft holds a little better but will not last. Before I get the velcro or tape, any advice short of getting a new one ($$$). I could inject some adhesive with a needle into the shaft.

Yeah it happens
    I have a couple left over. What color is your interior, if it's tan, I'll sell you a good one cheap.
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Thanks, its grey though...

I may have one grey one, I'll look.
    In fact, I know I do

2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Use this lemon for lemonade - Homelink Upgrade Time!

'98 " Last of the Good Ones!" V70 R
    Upsolute ECU - E-Codes/SilverStars - ArcticGrade Oil Lines - HD SkidPlate - Spoiler - XC Grill -

That is exactly what I did, the Homelink upgrade. I negotiated mine into a deal with some other stuff from Erie. The install went pretty smoothly, just do it on a warm day so the plastic is flexible and take your time. The A pillar interior cover just pulls right off.

The problem with my old one was not that it wouldn't stay up but that when unhooked, it would swing too freely and hit me in the head every time I would turn.

I have a spare I could part with, I think from a 3960 car. No, that is not my old one that swings around too easily, I wouldn't sell that one without a disclaimer, 3990 color if anyone wants it super cheap
    1999 V70XC / Nautic Blue Pearl / 16" Titanium Perfo wheels

Doubt Erie has any left.
    I bought last 5 GEN 1 Homelink visors from them within the past 5 months and they had not many in grey to start with.
    The majority are tan. The ones I have are the base visors from those cars

Default New OEM Visor

is 109.00 bucks...

I pay $50 from them.
    (dealer-wholesale, plus I buy a lot of stuff from them)

I doubt injecting glue into the shaft would be the solution but you really don't have much to lose. if not, you still just need a visor. Velcro / tape will mess up the headliner. Then you have more than one problem. If you don't have the bread to just deal with it by making a single phone call, check local junkyards. Gray Is tough to find but tan beige oak arena sand whatever shade of brown you find that is functional from a junkyard for $5 will be a nice upgrade for your wife until you find the right part. When it comes right down to it, people usually will not notice the color difference. Not after several days anyway. It would irritate the h3(( out of me but I don't have time and do have the resources to just make it right.

Sometimes it is just worth spending the money. I mean yes that is a lot for just a visor but the alternative is making the car worse with velcro type solutions or spending a lot of time trying to save money.

If you have time, great, find out your color code from the plate in the engine compartment, setup a custom search in eBay, check all local junkyards, maybe more than once. I have had several tell me they have no Volvos when I know they do. Just like used tire places will say they have no used 55 series tires. I guess nobody with a car that takes 55 series tires ever buys new tires and leaves used ones at a tire shop anywhere in Montana, weird! Sorry for the tangent. Ok, also check forum classifieds for users parting out cars in your color and post an item wanted listing, be patient.

How much is that time / your wife's happiness worth to you? I have spent a lot of time trying to save a buck and sometimes the frustration or actual savings has just not been worth it, kinda' like driving 20 miles to save $0.02 / gal on gas. I once spent hours and hours trying to track down a simple interior trim piece. I finally got it for under $5 at the dealer. I was stupid to have wasted so much time on that part. The parts guy and I are now both on a first name basis with each other. I don't necessarily spend a lot of money there but sometimes they are the best answer. I am not saying that the dealer is the way to go for the visor, just telling a story.

I just don't want to see you do more damage than good to your car but it is not my car or money either.

Erie may negotiate, especially if you are buying additional parts and not being difficult. Does your car need anything else? Ok, maybe not the best idea if money is tight. Of course, maybe Volvo isn't the best idea either if that is the case :-(

Good luck with your quest.
    Last edited by pdlarson; 05-06-2012 at 11:52 PM.
    1999 V70XC / Nautic Blue Pearl / 16" Titanium Perfo wheels