Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Strong induction noise

Wife's 99XC. 105k - no issues ever with the car other that all the issues the xc has. Told me she hears a noise when she is on the gas - I drive it easy - I dont hear a thing - I do a freeway ramp launch - Boy, do I hear it. Sounds like I dont have a air filter. When in park and she pressed the gas with me listening and watching - I hear nothing.

Aside from that car runs strong

Is the fresh air duct that goes from bottom of bottom of air cleaner hosuing to above left side of fan shroud in place?

Yes, it appears to be secure - tonight I will tear it all down to make sure - but as of now it looks intact - the sound is pretty strong - right behind the firewall...

but car runs fine.

Just occurred to me - while the car runs fine - I do notice that when parked, when I floor it, it bogs down or will only go to 4k - I thought it was a rev limiter but now Im not so sure. I have replaces the fuel pump - still on the original throttle module.

They will not rev above 3800 in park or neutral, there is a rev limiter
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Good then - that's one variable I can check off.

Do you have the snow shield in place on the intake? When I removed mine the turbo spool was more easily heard. When I went to SNABB intake and an aftermarket panel filter, it's really loud. I like it. My wife doesn't gun it enough to notice.

1999 V70XC Silver - IPD Sway Bars, IPD TCV, SNABB intake, Amsoil Dry EA nano-fibre panel filter
    2008 C30 T5 Cosmic White Manual - Fun fun fun
    1983 - Volvo DL wagon - RIP - Volvo saved my life.

Use snow tires.
    AWD + all season tires + snow = stuck in deepr $#&@

Angry Im a real DA (resolved)

It really did sound like an induction sound. but WTH, Im a RWD guy. A little bird told me it could be a motor mount and that the sound I was hearing was the motor body contact. Ok, what ever. It was so easy to diag motor mounts on 240's -
    I put the car on the lift and used the pry bar on the mounts and sure as hell it was a collapsed right front mount. - Picked up a new one for 112.00 bucks at the dealer - its about the side of a cantaloupe! It took all of 5 mins to replace.

Crap - induction noise...

right.

I think I've said this about 10 times now.
    When you hear a louder noise/vibration or feel something out or sorts, 9 out of 10 it's the lower mount

For whatever reason, all they seem to be good for is about 80-100K miles, tops on an AWD Volvo but seem to stay together on a FWD car.
    Also they seem to crap out much earlier on a 2.4T (gen 1) over a later 2.5T P2 wagon
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

JRL,

In my case it was only noise - there was no vibration, only noise. I will say that after replacing it does feel smoother.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast