Default Timing belt condition.

I have a 2001 XC70 with 137,000 miles on it, I got the car with no paperwork.
    The place I bought the car from told me the timing belt had been replaced recently. Is their a way to tell the condition?
    The timing belt looks pasty brown and dirty/dusty but doesn't look Like its fraying or cracking.
    If it were nice and black like a new belt I would think it was ok but it just looks kinda old and dusty.
    Ant tips for verifying the age?

Btw I'm assuming it was replaced at 100k or somewhere around that point, so that was 37,000 miles ago and I figure the belt could get dirty in that time frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
    I have a 2001 XC70 with 137,000 miles on it, I got the car with no paperwork.
    The place I bought the car from told me the timing belt had been replaced recently. Is their a way to tell the condition?
    The timing belt looks pasty brown and dirty/dusty but doesn't look Like its fraying or cracking.
    If it were nice and black like a new belt I would think it was ok but it just looks kinda old and dusty.
    Ant tips for verifying the age?

Btw I'm assuming it was replaced at 100k or somewhere around that point, so that was 37,000 miles ago and I figure the belt could get dirty in that time frame.
    It's really the bearings that go on these cars and not the belt, although the belt will snap or shred after a short time if a bearing seizes.

How handy are you with auto mechanics? Parts for the job is only about $130 from online suppliers and another $50 for the water pump plus your labor time.

A Volvo mechanic would be able to tell but judging by the amount of dirt and color, it maybe well worn too. To be really safe, good suggestion is to replace it with the tensioner. I have mine replaced recently when it is about 12,500 miles shy of the recommended mileage interval but it is very close to the recommended years. Even though no cracking or fraying, it is safer to just replaced the whole lot. Peace of mind motoring.
    DC

2002 V70XC - Polarartic/Oak, ESR, 5AT Geartronic, leather package, factory towing kit, tinted windows and screens, tracker, sunglass holder, center console cup holder, nylon cargo barrier, luggage net, Ipod connectivity, R instrument gauges 150k kms to date

Yeh looks like im going to be doing this soon just for safety. I really didn't want to fix something that wasn't broke but theirs no way to know the age of it.

Any suggestions for a good timing belt, water pump brand?
    I'm thinking ill just stick to Volvo factory parts.

IPD sells an OE kit that worked well in my cars, and there are other sources...but I've always had good luck with IPD expertise, even if they're not the cheapest...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Quote Originally Posted by Astro14 View Post
    IPD sells an OE kit that worked well in my cars, and there are other sources...but I've always had good luck with IPD expertise, even if they're not the cheapest...
    I got my kit from FCP Groton and it has been fine. Theirs includes a Conti TB same as what is OEM as well as OEM rollers. Now they have a "performance" kit that uses a Gates "racing" TB. Besides being blue, I wonder if it would be all that better for the $20 more money?

When we raced Hondas and VWs we always used OEM TB with no problems (well, at least the TBs ). And they weren't blue either.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

I have been looking over the timing belt .pdf from the resources section.
    Any tips for this job? how hard is it to get the crank pulley off? Will I have to get the special tool or is their another way?

Also what is the deal with the temperature setting on the idler pulley?

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
    I have been looking over the timing belt .pdf from the resources section.
    Any tips for this job? how hard is it to get the crank pulley off? Will I have to get the special tool or is their another way?

Also what is the deal with the temperature setting on the idler pulley?
    No need to pull the crank pulley off, have to fish a little to get the old belt out. Use the old belt to practice how to fish it back on before doing it with your new belt. There are a couple of obstruction points.

http://www.freewebs.com/howardsvolvos/engine.htm

On the tensioner. line up the rotatable marker between the goal post with the engine cold and tighten the bolt. Here is the pic. The marker is the metal tab closes to the belt. Its lined up between the openings on the 3 fingers behind it.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2.../tensioner.jpg
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos