Default 2008 xc70 vs. 2009+

Hello, I've searched for info on this subject but not had much luck so I'll just ask the owners

Are there any 'major' differences or updates from the 2008 model change vs. 2009+ model years? All I can really find are minor updates, has anything really changed that would effect reliability that can't be updated with software?

2008 XC70 were the first year of a new body (P3 or Y2) style, and I know that 2008's had a very high failure rate in the fuel pumps.

I rented an '08 in Denmark and drove from Copenhagen to Stockholm. 100 kms outside of Stockholm it died. When Falck in Sweden towed the car to Volvo, I had a conversation with the local Hertz rep. They had ordered 80 Volvo's and at one point they had 10-20 that were out of service, all for the same reason.

Now, it's possible that the pump was unique to the EU (smaller displacement) engine, but as a rule of thumb I avoid the first year of any new model.

Andres

Thanks for the input, must be an EU thing or a particular batch.

I'm looking for any changes from the initial 'new model' ('08) and still can't find a significant difference or upgrade/update (engine components, power train, tranny) between an '08 and up to a '12, anyone else?

Aah, that is a slightly broader question. I was comparing 08 to 09.

For the 2009 and 2010 models they worked the kinks out of any production faults, but 2011 and up have slightly different 'tuned' engines. Same blocks and all, but they used 'lower friction components' and upped the boost, the T6 went from 281 HP to 300 HP, and 325 ft./lbs. of torque. You can also get a Polestar upgrade to 325 HP, and 354 ft.lbs of torque AND still maintain your warranty. The grille changed in 2010 to the new 'bolder' iron symbol and the steering wheel in the XC changed to the new style in 2010. For 2012, the center console is entirely new.

IMHO, I would avoid the 2008 models, but I prefer to have a PO or previous lessee take the initial depreciation, if you are looking, I would aim for a low-mileage, documented maintenance 2009-2011.

Did that help more?
    Last edited by acools; 04-05-2012 at 01:23 PM. Reason: correction of 'tuned' engines