Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Emergency Brake 98 XC70 awd

It appears my emergency brake cables are rotted and gone. I have 4 wheel disc. Is there any diagrams or part numbers for the cables? also on the back of the plate there is a hole on the drivers side and you can see where it rotted off on the passenger side

I have a '99 V70XC. When I pull the parking brake handle, nothing happens. When releasing, I discover it actually did slightly apply the brake and now it didn't release and squeaks for a few hundred feet of driving. I took it in for some other stuff and here is what they said, "Found the parking brake cable on both sides to be rusty and froze up. Both cables will need to be replaced from the lever back." Parts as follows plus 4.5 hours labor! $200 for parts and I forget their labor rate, but I think it was almost $500 for labor, ouch! They didn't remove the rear rotors so I'm sure that would be a few hundred more for that brake service. I did not do the job but I do have the parts list with prices from 10/2011

Two each of all of the following and I am listing the price for each
    9485386 Parking Brake Cable $79.48
    6806578 Grommet $6
    1387247 clip $2.26
    947115 O-Ring $2.44
    1206339 Shaft $8.24
    983653 Clamp $1.57
    97577 Rivet $0.35

Total $200.68

I have read that the job is complicated / time consuming, justifying the 4.5 hrs labor. Searching forums, people have done it, I guess it's just a *itch. I have not attempted it yet but I have had my center console out and that is not too bad of a job. Search for instructions on replacing the shifter light bulb to see how to do it as replacing that bulb requires removing the console and it is a common problem. I think it has to be removed for the parking brake cable replacement as well. I don't know what else is involved but good luck. Take pics and let us know how it goes. I just decided not to use the p-brake but it really irritates me as I am one who usually would use it every time in every vehicle I ever drive :-(
    Last edited by pdlarson; 04-05-2012 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Found more details to add.

yeah pick up the rear seat to get at a hold down clip under the piece of cardboard under the carpet, and ignore it when putting new cable in. the cable I got had the rubber bushing on it. I basically reused the parts in the back. the console is just lifted and not removed. there are some good posts on this on MVS

KlubMarcus Guest

My cables were good, but the e-brake wouldn't hold on an incline. Turned out that everything at the wheel was rusted and/or worn down due to my car not being garaged for years while I lived at an apartment. So I just sent it to the same shop that did my brakes.

All the shops are pushing for business while people have time off work during summer. There are price wars going on! Maintenance and repair coupons, labor pricing, etc.. are just dropping. Look through your maintenance records. Work that was done a year or two ago is cheaper today! I'm sure the purpose is to get customers in the door in order to recommend additional work. But if you know what you want done, this is the time to get it done. You can even negotiate a bundle discount with the manager if have a lot of work done at the same time.

I'm getting ready to do this job but I can't find the part numbers for the shoes or the springs. I may have also listed the wrong P/N for the rivet but maybe I don't need that? Does anybody have the part numbers for the two different size springs and the shoes. This is all for parking brakes on a '99 V70XC (AWD).

I'm not getting the rivet but I am adding:
    1) 272249 Brake shoe kit (should be all four shoes) $44.48 Tasca
    2) 9173602 Retaining spring (1 for each side) $5.72 Tasca
    2) 9173601 return spring (1 for each side) $5.44 Tasca

I'm not really sure about these three P/Ns but hopefully this will be right and all I need along with the parts listed above...

I just ordered all the above parts in post 2 and the parts here in this post from Tasca (I needed some Ford goodies too) for
    $189.94 (not including shipping or my other Ford goodies).
    Last edited by pdlarson; 07-09-2012 at 11:19 AM.
    1999 V70XC / Nautic Blue Pearl / 16" Titanium Perfo wheels