Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    IIRC= if I recall.
    You know, standard internet shorthand
    Actually, IIRC = If I Remember Correctly and it predates the Internet

nortons, while I share your pain, dare I say you should have come to this forum before going to eBay and you would have been guided along the right(eous) path. If you think Volvo parts and service are expensive, make sure you stay well away from BMW, Audi, MB, etc. At least with Volvo, there is this forum (as well as others) to help you out. Time to cut your losses and take JRL's advice.

Quote Originally Posted by goldxc70 View Post
    Actually, IIRC = If I Remember Correctly and it predates the Internet
    Means the same
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Hey VOLVOLOCKS,
    Can you help? Previous owner supplied new, unused, factory VOLVO ignition lock cylinder assy, but unfortunately, with wrong key. I did find a guy in California who says he can re-code lock cylinder to my key. says he does this for Volvo, VW, Audi, etc, dealers for western USA. But I have no way of verifying his claims; no references, etc, and I would sincerely hate to send off a pricy lock cylinder and my only spare key and have it disappear. You can contact me off forum at; [email protected]. Use "Volvo lock cylinder " in subject line to avoid spam delete.

Try $400 to replace and program the FOB Key here in San Francisco! Ouch!
    2004 XC70 2.5 T5 AWD 150K Mobil 1
    2000 VW Passat Wagon V6 150K Castrol
    2000 Tacoma PreRunner 190K Castrol
    2000 Isuzu Trooper 4WD 140K Castrol

I found a locksmith in your area; South San Francisco that says he can re-code my lock cylinder for $80. Mailed today, can't give recommendation yet, we'll see!. Volvos have always had crappy lock cylinders, lots of posts here on that. My 242 Turbo has had the ignition key stuck in the cylinder for 15 years. Last time I took it out, I got stuck in a very bad neighborhood I had no business being in for a long time jiggling key until it would start car. Have only owned this 2000V70Xc for a year; both front door lock motors replaced along with driver window regulator motor. This car is a nightmare! Bought it to fix&flip to make money for 242V8 project; so far I'm losing money on this heap. Wife hates driving it, too, wants Chrysler minivan back= better mpg, regular gas, way cheaper to fix and insure, way more usable room. But, she does like those heated seats!

Wow. $200 for a key is a great deal - my friend lost his F-150 key with remote start..only cost $475 to replace and reprogram (O N E K E Y).
    And your driving a luxury station wagon.

And you can just at the fact you're driving a 13 year old vehicle is that still for its age very safe. Can't say that with any 2000 Dodge minivans I've seen. The most durable cars in the world are 1-Toyota, 2-Volvo, and 3 Mercedes (Consumers Reports/Car&Driver). If you put some money into your Volvo, it might ding you $1-2k per year, but how much is a new vehicle payment?

And you had to replace a window regular on a 13 year old car? Sounds normal wear and tear to me.

Just put it into perspective. The Volvo is good for 2-300'000 MILES. Keep up the maintenance and it'll keep you on the road and safe. The key issue may be a pain, but if you wanted a cheap to run car, get an older Toyota. Can't really go wrong there...just don't get hit in one.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by nortons View Post
    I found a locksmith in your area; South San Francisco that says he can re-code my lock cylinder for $80. Mailed today, can't give recommendation yet, we'll see!. Volvos have always had crappy lock cylinders, lots of posts here on that. My 242 Turbo has had the ignition key stuck in the cylinder for 15 years. Last time I took it out, I got stuck in a very bad neighborhood I had no business being in for a long time jiggling key until it would start car. Have only owned this 2000V70Xc for a year; both front door lock motors replaced along with driver window regulator motor. This car is a nightmare! Bought it to fix&flip to make money for 242V8 project; so far I'm losing money on this heap. Wife hates driving it, too, wants Chrysler minivan back= better mpg, regular gas, way cheaper to fix and insure, way more usable room. But, she does like those heated seats!

Yes, please update on how it goes and send me the info for the guy. Much appreciated.
    2004 XC70 2.5 T5 AWD 150K Mobil 1
    2000 VW Passat Wagon V6 150K Castrol
    2000 Tacoma PreRunner 190K Castrol
    2000 Isuzu Trooper 4WD 140K Castrol

Regular gas works fine in this car, that's why it has knock sensors. If you wanted better mileage, should have gone with the V70 as 4WD will cost you at least 1mpg from extra drivetrain losses. Is there a "grumpy old man" medal we can give nortons?

Where did that come from? This thread is about a KEY, not fuel (and they really don't run great).
    A regular, steady diet of 87 regular will give you in the least a sluggish and a sometimes, ill running Volvo.
    Will it damage anything no!
    Will it make it even slower, yes!
    Just not worth it, a TURBO, even a light pressure turbo, needs at least decent fuel
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast