Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default $200.00 for a KEY! are you nuts?

I recently bought a 2000 V70XC and occasionally the ignition key would be difficult to remove or the key would just spin uselessly as though the lock cylinder was failing. So I found a new old stock, correct part number Volvo replacement lock cylinder assembly on Ebay for $30. Complete with 1 "service" type key, (without the large black plastic) and the Volvo key code on the label. Easy, right?
    Not so fast. NONE of the local Detroit area locksmiths can cut a Volvo key!
    Local Volvo dealer says I have to buy a complete new lock assy. from him for $340, PLUS $200 for an extra key! (But he offered a "deal" if I bought 2 for $245!!!)
    Are you serious?
    Ive made a couple of calls and sent a number of emails to parts suppliers and word is that replacement keys must be "programmed" to the car. And if I install my brand new OEM Volvo replacement lock cylinder assy., the car WON"T START WITH THE KEY SUPPLIED!
    Model year 2000 seems to be starting point for this horse s%*t.
    I have an Innova 3160 scan tool. Can this be used to reset/reprogram a replacement key?, (IF I can find one and then find someone to cut it!)
    I've owned my '83 242 turbo for 26 years and loved it. I've owned this 2000 V70 for 4 months and I'm seriously beginning to absolutely hate this car for BS like this.
    Does anyone out there have any ideas/tips/recommendations? Know of any suppliers for a replacement? Blanks are for sale on Ebay for $6 or so, but if I can't get it cut or " reprogrammed".....

Actually 99 is the first year.
    Needs software and must be done at a dealer
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

So I have to have the car towed nearly 40 miles to the (closest) dealer, (only 3 dealers in entire Detroit/S.E. Michigan!) and pay this pirate $540.00 to get 2 bloody keys?
    And I have a NOS, never used, correct part in my hand?
    I found 1, (and only 1) locksmith in the entire Detroit/S.E. Michigan area who can/will cut a replacement key for this car; at $200.00 for the key PLUS the service call charge. He was vague about "reprogramming" cost.
    This may well be the most PIA car I've ever owned due to BS like this. No wonder they can't sell cars around here. I live in Dearborn, center of the Ford empire and when Ford owned them, they were a common sight as they were available to employees for company cars, but once Ford dumped them they disappeared. Used Volvos are worth nothing around here; less than 1/2 of what a beat up Chrysler minivan sells for.
    Car had transmission troubles when I bought it; NONE of the local auto trans shops would touch it. Reason? parts availability and prices! A number reported very bad experiences in the past with FWD Volvo and said "never again!"
    I've owned 240s for 26 years, (have 2); parts are reasonable, they are fairly easy to work on and maintain, clean ones are worth good money. This car has been a monumental pain. I've owned it 4 months and I'm about fed up.
    I have VADIS on my home PC, but I can't find info on keys. I have an Innova 3160 scan tool; will I be able to "reprogram" a replacement key with that?
    I'm really getting sick of this car.
    Any help/tips/recommendations, etc will be greatly appreciated.
    Doug in Dearborn, Michigan

The recommendation is not to buy the key on Ebay
    You order the CORRECT lock assy and key for YOUR car from Volvo.
    Takes about a week to 10 days to arrive.
    Your old keys should work and at about $300 you're done.

Most other modern cars are the same way BTW

2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Default $200 for a key?

JRL, Thanks for reply. To be clear; the lock assy from Ebay IS the exact same part number as the one the Volvo dealer wanted to sell me. On top of that he wants 1/2 hr. labor, (@$125.00hr), PLUS the charge for "reprogramming" the new key and any spare keys, (one for the wife and a spare to keep around the house would be nice) Plus, I have to shell out a couple hundred or more for the flat bed tow for the 40 miles to this pirate
    This is idiotic. Oh,but wait; this is a "theft deterrent device". I already have such "theft deterrent devices" for my pickup, my van, my Aprilia scooter, my vintage Triumph motorcycle, all 3 of my Norton Commandos, the Harley, my snowblower, my toolboxes, and the doors of my house....they're called KEYS. And I can get the local hardware store to cut me new ones for a buck or two each.
    Neighbor has some kind of new, absolutely silent, hybrid, 4 door sedan car, Toyota, I think. A generic looking blob with a sneering look to it's front. He pulled into the driveway not 3 feet away from me literally without making a sound. Didn't hear a thing until the door closed. It has no "key" but only a fob that allows the car to start in its' presence. "What do you do if the fob battery fails?" I asked. "Oh, it has this little metal thing that will open the door" he showed me. It looked like 1/2 of a conventional key. "but I don't think there is a place to use it to actually start the car" he said. "Guess I better not lose this" he said.
    "Technology" is a good thing, but just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD or even that it is a good idea. This key foolishness is the kind of stuff that drives customers away. Like my brothers Cadillac that requires partial engine removal to replace 4 sparkplugs. Save 10 bucks because you only have to replace those plugs at 100,000 miles, but when you do....$$$$$$$$
    I can understand 50 or 75 bucks to replace a lost or broken remote lock fob. personally I have no use for them, but my wife likes hers for her minivan. That van had ignition lock cylinder problems, too. On the way to Cedar Point with a car full of kids, the key would not turn the lock to start it or come out after a breakfast stop off I-75. Shelled out for a flat bed tow to nearest Chrysler dealer in Monroe. Cost? $145 including labor and still used old keys for new lock.
    I would love to keep this car, but I'd be stupid not to fluff and buff it to make it pretty and sell it off to some other sucker. I'll gladly pour the money into my ongoing rotisserie resto of my 242 Turbo Volvo, but I've really soured on this V70.
    Is this "reprogramming" download on VADIS? I can't find it. Is it on "VICE"?, (I think it's called). Should i buy this for my PC?

It's not about the lock itelf. It's about your keys.
    The keys that you originally started with have tiny
    chips in their heads. Each one is uniquely coded.
    There's an antenna ring right at the ignition switch
    that reads the codes of any key inserted.

The car has been "taught" that these are the only keys
    that it should recognize and is programmed to start only
    if it's one of YOUR keys. It's a pretty common type of system.

What Jim is trying to tell you is that the most cost effective way
    to repair a bad ignition switch in a '99- Volvo is to have your
    VIN handy, contact Volvo, and have them send you one that's
    been custom made to use your existing keys. No reprogramming
    should be needed. All you'll pay for is the ignition switch and the
    labor for the installation. Or you may want to install it yourself.

Since the one from eBay uses different keys, they have to be
    programmed into the car. AND they won't work in the doors...
    ( This all assumes that the car still has all the factory locks,
    including the ignition switch key cylinder...)

Don't hate the car, man - It's just doing it's job!
    Just think of the Heated Seats and how well it goes in snow...
    Last edited by BEJinFBK; 03-30-2012 at 11:13 PM.

'98 " Last of the Good Ones!" V70 R
    Upsolute ECU - E-Codes/SilverStars - ArcticGrade Oil Lines - HD SkidPlate - Spoiler - XC Grill -

Quote Originally Posted by nortons View Post
    Neighbor has some kind of new, absolutely silent, hybrid, 4 door sedan car, Toyota, I think. It has no "key" but only a fob that allows the car to start in its' presence. "What do you do if the fob battery fails?" I asked. "Oh, it has this little metal thing that will open the door" he showed me. It looked like 1/2 of a conventional key. "but I don't think there is a place to use it to actually start the car" he said. "Guess I better not lose this" he said.
    "Technology" is a good thing, but just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD or even that it is a good idea. This key foolishness is the kind of stuff that drives customers away.
    I agree completely. My neighbor bought one of those new-fangled auto-mobiles. I went over and asked him what he did if he lost the key. "I don't go anywhere, I guess", he said. So I climbed back on my horse, which doesn't require a key, and rode back home (feeling rather smug if I do say)!

By the way, that fob that lets your neighbor start his car without using a key? It doesn't need a battery. It's a passive RFID device interrogated by the car and it doesn't use any internal power. Only the door-remote part needs a battery (hence the emergency door key).
    Last edited by instarx; 04-01-2012 at 01:04 AM.
    2000 V70 XC SE
    165,000 miles and runs great.
    Total repair costs over last 65 months: $720 (about 1.5 car payments);
    Best single tank mileage ever: 32.8; Average mileage: 22.2; City: 18

I recently bought a 2000 V70XC and occasionally the ignition key would be difficult to remove or the key would just spin uselessly as though the lock cylinder was failing. So I found a...
    Check to make sure your transmission is fully engaged into park or neutral before turning or removing key.

Quote Originally Posted by andybbrown View Post
    Check to make sure your transmission is fully engaged into park or neutral before turning or removing key.
    What would that have to do with a spinning key?
    (Hint, nothing!)
    What you posted has to do with removing a stuck key

well only few locksmith mess around with Volvo has those car have 2 main difficulty for average locksmith
    high security key
    key programming only with dealer tool
    so only few of us invest and prsctice those car i will be more than happy to assist anyone with volvo key since i m a volvo owner myself and we all king of related and that the goal of this forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast