Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by nortons View Post
    Neighbor has some kind of new, absolutely silent, hybrid, 4 door sedan car, Toyota, I think. It has no "key" but only a fob that allows the car to start in its' presence. "What do you do if the fob battery fails?" I asked. "Oh, it has this little metal thing that will open the door" he showed me. It looked like 1/2 of a conventional key. "but I don't think there is a place to use it to actually start the car" he said. "Guess I better not lose this" he said.
    "Technology" is a good thing, but just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD or even that it is a good idea. This key foolishness is the kind of stuff that drives customers away.
    I agree completely. My neighbor bought one of those new-fangled auto-mobiles. I went over and asked him what he did if he lost the key. "I don't go anywhere, I guess", he said. So I climbed back on my horse, which doesn't require a key, and rode back home (feeling rather smug if I do say)!

By the way, that fob that lets your neighbor start his car without using a key? It doesn't need a battery. It's a passive RFID device interrogated by the car and it doesn't use any internal power. Only the door-remote part needs a battery (hence the emergency door key).
    Last edited by instarx; 04-01-2012 at 01:04 AM.
    2000 V70 XC SE
    165,000 miles and runs great.
    Total repair costs over last 65 months: $720 (about 1.5 car payments);
    Best single tank mileage ever: 32.8; Average mileage: 22.2; City: 18