Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nortons View Post
    Neighbor has some kind of new, absolutely silent, hybrid, 4 door sedan car, Toyota, I think. It has no "key" but only a fob that allows the car to start in its' presence. "What do you do if the fob battery fails?" I asked. "Oh, it has this little metal thing that will open the door" he showed me. It looked like 1/2 of a conventional key. "but I don't think there is a place to use it to actually start the car" he said. "Guess I better not lose this" he said.
    "Technology" is a good thing, but just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD or even that it is a good idea. This key foolishness is the kind of stuff that drives customers away.
    I agree completely. My neighbor bought one of those new-fangled auto-mobiles. I went over and asked him what he did if he lost the key. "I don't go anywhere, I guess", he said. So I climbed back on my horse, which doesn't require a key, and rode back home (feeling rather smug if I do say)!

By the way, that fob that lets your neighbor start his car without using a key? It doesn't need a battery. It's a passive RFID device interrogated by the car and it doesn't use any internal power. Only the door-remote part needs a battery (hence the emergency door key).
    Last edited by instarx; 04-01-2012 at 01:04 AM.
    2000 V70 XC SE
    165,000 miles and runs great.
    Total repair costs over last 65 months: $720 (about 1.5 car payments);
    Best single tank mileage ever: 32.8; Average mileage: 22.2; City: 18

IIRC= if I recall.
    You know, standard internet shorthand
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Har, Har, Har! Wot a comedian!
    Again, to be clear, Volvo dealer says $325 for lock cyl. assy., (this is NOT the ignition SWITCH, that is a separate electricl item and is actually reasonably priced), PLUS 1/2hr labor at $125hr to install, PLUS $200 per key, PLUS "reprogramming" time at $125hr.
    AND they will not "reprogram" if I install the lock assy. (Keep in mind that this Volvo dealer once offered me a mechanic job when I worked at a rival BMW dealer!)
    The lock cyl assy is fairly easy to change; a couple of plastic mouldings, a handful of TORX screws, move the R/H switch up out of the way, and a few minutes with the cordless drill and a good bit to remove the 2 screws that are designed to break off.
    I will accept the fact that i was hasty in buying a NOS, original Volvo, correct part number lock assy without doing enough research that would have told me I needed to insure that the part also had to have the same key code.
    I have also learned that UK required such theft prevention keys as of 1999, if I remember correctly.
    I bought the part off Ebay in good faith after reading the Haynes manual, (the only manual available for this car. (I have since bought VADIS), which says "turn key to "1" position, insert a 2mm rod and withdraw lock cylinder). I've done this a number of times,including my '83 242 Turbo. (Come to think of it, my '84 242DL is acting up, too). My Dodge minivan, my GMC Sierra and my Aprilia motorcycle, all "modern" vehicles are this way, too, without all of this other monkey motion.
    As for your wise guy comments about horses; Have you ever been a guest at your employers Formula 1 suites and paddock party for you and all of the other members of their various race teams? Have you ever had stuff you built in print? Ever been a crew member at Daytona? (I'll show you the photo of me sitting on the pit wall), Have you ever written tech articles for your vintage vehicle club? Well, I have. want to come see my trophies for motorcycles, hot rods, race cars, etc, I've built? Help me dust them? I'll bet I do a lot more work on my cars than you do. I'm not some guy who sits at a keyboard fantasizing.
    This dealer is the same guy who quoted me $6,000 for a rebuilt transmission. I still feel this guy is ripping me off and I'm not giving him any more of my money. I'll find a way to do this. I'm not spending $500, $600, $700 for a key on a car that I paid $800 for.
    As for theft; who in this world would steal a green Volvo station wagon? No carjacker is that desperate!

Quote Originally Posted by nortons View Post
    As for your wise guy comments about horses; Have you ever been a guest at your employers Formula 1 suites and paddock party for you and all of the other members of their various race teams?

I realize the comment was not for me but...

Yes, Long Beach 1978 (IIRC)

Have you ever had stuff you built in print?

If you mean cars I have built, yes.

Ever been a crew member at Daytona?

Well, if racing your own car counts, I suppose that too would be a yes too.

The red arrow is me!

(I'll show you the photo of me sitting on the pit wall),

WOW! (I'm impressed)!

Have you ever written tech articles for your vintage vehicle club?

No, can't say I have

Well, I have, want to come see my trophies.

How many? I have a "few" myself.
    Last edited by JRL; 04-02-2012 at 07:20 AM.

2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

JRL, Not dissing you, it was the one from NC that was being a wise guy.
    Cool car! nice photos.
    No, I didn't know what IIRC stood for. I know enough "computer" to run my business, (which often involves international communications and transactions in other languages, exchange rate calculations, documents, customs, arranging overseas shipping, etc), answer my email, delete the spam, send photos if needed and so on, but if I need to do anything complicated I have to ask the wife or the kids for help.
    I know enough to do most of what I need to do.
    There often seems to be types lurking on these forums who love to demonstrate their superiority by smugly using ever more unfathomable jargon or strings of abbreviations, thus grandly displaying their prowess at the keyboard. Funny though, my experience is that these types often don't actually know how to DO much else. Hand them a screwdriver and they'll stab themselves. You, obviously are NOT one of those; the car shows that you know how to twist a spanner as my Brit friends say.
    I've never come across a car with as much over-thought, over engineered, over priced, unnecessarily over complicated weirdness as this v70. (Well, maybe a couple of Peugeots or that Citroen that time. Or any Jaguar. I always got stuck with the problem children). And yet for all of the money that has been thrown at this car by the previous owner, (that's why I now own it; he got fed up with this thing bustin' his wallet constantly) and the jaw dropping parts prices, it's still a rather average car with some really mediocre quality. I bought it to flip it and that's what I'm going to do with it. P.O put thousands in it and fed up, he sold it to me for $800. With a bunch of trips to salvage yards for trim pieces to replace the abysmal quality of upholstery and plastic trim, misc. electrical bits, a couple hundred to my pals trim shop to re-do the front seats, weeks of head scratching to deal with transmission woes, a looming appointment with the "dent guy" and subsequent time I'll spend with the buffing wheel after vacuuming a basket ball sized lump of dog hair, I'm going to flip it for as much as I can and turn that into a new driveway. I thought I might keep it if it turned out nice, and it has actually, but this thing will bankrupt me.
    Going to see "grey hair" locksmith tomorrow, see if he can figure a way to re-code NOS lock cylinder to use my old key. Somebody does it when they assemble 'em. Don't want to give creeps at local Volvo dealer another dime if not absolutely necessary.

Once you understand them, know what used parts to buy and what new parts to buy plus where to buy new and used parts cheap, they're not any worse than many other cars.
    This though has taken me YEARS to figure out.

I've had literal basket cases that in 2-3 weeks turned out to be as good and as reliable as my own personal Gen 1 Volvos (98-2000), but it does take some time.... like any other car will, to learn their idiosyncracies.
    You also need to cultivate a VERY good relationship with your dealer, however sometimes that just isn't possible as many are total ripoffs and a-holes
    In that area, I'm very blessed

I recently bought a 2000 V70XC and occasionally the ignition key would be difficult to remove or the key would just spin uselessly as though the lock cylinder was failing. So I found a...
    Check to make sure your transmission is fully engaged into park or neutral before turning or removing key.

Quote Originally Posted by andybbrown View Post
    Check to make sure your transmission is fully engaged into park or neutral before turning or removing key.
    What would that have to do with a spinning key?
    (Hint, nothing!)
    What you posted has to do with removing a stuck key

well only few locksmith mess around with Volvo has those car have 2 main difficulty for average locksmith
    high security key
    key programming only with dealer tool
    so only few of us invest and prsctice those car i will be more than happy to assist anyone with volvo key since i m a volvo owner myself and we all king of related and that the goal of this forum

200 for a key with this kind of security level it s pretty affordable it s not a 2002 toyota metal key we talking about

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast