Default Any tips for ignition lock installation? Help needed

Previous owner of 2000 V70XC supplied new Volvo ignition lock assembly when I bought the car to replace failing ign. lock cylinder. Correct part number for ignition lock assembly on package and all numbers on switches matching, too. Problem was, not proper key code for car. BUT, I found a locksmith in California who re-coded lock to my supplied extra key. All seemed to be OK.
    So, now I have replacement lock cylinder assembly and have an installation problem; With battery disconnected and fuses for air bags removed, install new lock cylinder assembly onto steering column with "shear off" bolts just tight enough to hold assembly in place, but not tightened enough to shear off heads. Install electrical ignition switch in proper position on lock cylinder housing. Install interlock cable into housing with key in #1 position and key/lock cylinder works perfectly, EXCEPT, key won't come out. Press tabs on cable and remove, key works perfectly and slips out easily; re-install cable=key won't come out. Key/lock cylinder appear to be binding on cable. Moving gear shifter moves inner sliding end of cable only about 5mm, but still doesn't seem to "line up" for proper operation.
    So what's the trick? Old lock cylinder mostly just spins uselessly, so not much help in comparing the two, but visually, looking down into cable aperture and moving key, (when it engages!), looks exactly the same as replacement. Maybe locksmith misaligned/mis-timed something? Different cables? I'm not going in proper installation sequence? Maybe I'm not positioning shift lever properly for cable end to snap in place properly? Or shift lock switch? Steering wheel lock seems to function correctly, but only with cable not installed.
    With as many threads on this site as there are having to do with ignition lock cylinders, maybe somebody can set me right on this? Many thanks in advance.

Okay, problem was salt/crud buildup on connector- a little WD40 and a couple of days and voila! off it comes!

Sorry, post was reply to another thread, not paying attention.

AHA!! Problem was interlock cable not moving freely at shift lever. A generous squirt of WD40 and a little wiggling and all is well!