Default Disconnect Battery Before Removing Door Panel?

Is this necessary? I've been told that a software download is required to replace the power window components. Since they're getting disconnected during the process I thought I'd ask if this was necessary before I did it. Thanks!

Side note: What are the chances a T20 torx bit will work on a T25 torx screw?
    2007 Volvo XC70 | Silver / Black | Premium & Climate Packages, Steel Cargo Barrier, Cargo Cover, Trailer Hitch, Parrot Bluetooth, USA SPEC iPod Adapter, 4-Way Pioneer Door Speakers

Be sure to check into the "proper" way to disconnect the battery to avoid a list of problems. there's a thread about it in this forum.
    '05 XC70 (family truckster)
    '11 X3 xdrive35i (Daddy's daily)
    '05 Sienna XLE Limited AWD (the road tripper)

So... then it is actually necessary?
    2007 Volvo XC70 | Silver / Black | Premium & Climate Packages, Steel Cargo Barrier, Cargo Cover, Trailer Hitch, Parrot Bluetooth, USA SPEC iPod Adapter, 4-Way Pioneer Door Speakers

You dont have to disconnect the battery. I took my panel off and unplugged the window switch, did my repair, and plugged it back in, to no ill effect.

EDIT: dont use a T20. Trust me. you'll strip the head like i did.
    Owned: '05 XC70, two T-5Rs, Flashicama S60R, two 850Rs, V70 2.4T, 98 V70 T5

Current: 2007 V70R SaphiKap GT

S60 / V70 INTERIOR / EXTERIOR LED LIGHTING KIT!

I don't recalling needing to dis/reconnect battery when swapping out my DDM and rear door lock module.

I also didn't have to get dealer reprogram on the DDM swap (on a 01 T5, it was the same part number if that matters)
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Thanks, guys.

The first time I pulled my front door panel without disconnecting the battery , everything worked fine when I put it back together. The second time I pulled the panel without disconnecting the battery, however, about a month after the first time, my window would not longer stop at the top on auto up and I had to retrain it. The first retraining only lasted a couple weeks but the second retraining has now lasted nearly a year.

Quote Originally Posted by matt1122 View Post
    Is this necessary? I've been told that a software download is required to replace the power window components. Since they're getting disconnected during the process I thought I'd ask if this was necessary before I did it. Thanks!

Side note: What are the chances a T20 torx bit will work on a T25 torx screw?
    The way I see it with these ears is that if the repair in any way involves electrics or wiring, pull the battery cables. They are too electronic to risk the possibility of a quick short or whatever that could send an errant signal thru the network and put you out of business. Its not a big deal anyway nor does it take much time. Better safe than sorry.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

I can't actually find this thread on disconnecting the battery properly. =\

Edit: found this on swedespeed: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...nect-Procedure
    Last edited by matt1122; 03-24-2012 at 07:29 AM.

The reason that you seem to have no issues one time and have issues another is that the network does not shut down in the same amount of time in every situation. If you closed and reopened the door during the process then you restarted network. If you opened door and left it open for 20 min and the lights went out and you did not close and reopen then you left network alone.
    If you did not need to unplug the DDM/PDM on the front doors then there was no risk regardless. If you unplugged the DDM/PDM when network was live then you lose the window stop memory and even risk some other modules going offline.
    Waiting 5 minutes after removing key with trunk lid open the whole time is the prerequisite for disconnecting battery. Unless cooling fan continues to run after you turn off ignition, then wait 5 min after fans stops.