Thread: Wheel Alignment

Default Wheel Alignment

Hi Folks, I'm just wondering if a front end alignment is something your local franchise Tyre sellers can be trusted with, or should it only be done by an indie or dealers workshop? Also, is it true that Volvo wheel nuts and studs are not great with impact wrenches/guns? (04 XC70, 132000Kms)
    Cheers...jc
    2004 XC70 LE, Ashgold/Oak, 165000 Kms

Over here, Not all shops that sell and mount tires do alignments. On the other hand, Most repair shops do. Its inexpensive and doesen't take much time. I usually wait for mine while they do it. As far as the lug nuts, I have never heard of that. Although with most of the aftermarket wheels; You usually get new lugnuts with the wheels.
    '05 Volvo XC70
    '99 Volvo V70

Quote Originally Posted by Julien View Post
    Hi Folks, I'm just wondering if a front end alignment is something your local franchise Tyre sellers can be trusted with, or should it only be done by an indie or dealers workshop? Also, is it true that Volvo wheel nuts and studs are not great with impact wrenches/guns? (04 XC70, 132000Kms)
    Cheers...jc
    I do my own alignments using string, jackstands, a digital level and a steel rule, just like we use to use when we aligned our race cars. The only requirements to get accurate alignments this way are patience and time. So if I can get decent alignment this way any shop that has the kit should be able to do one. But the question remains, does he shop have the ability to do a quality job? I have found in past that most alignment shops are more interested in making money than doing a decent job. That's why I'm using string and jackstands to do mine.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff