Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 2002 XC70 Transmission Problems

A friend of mine has the Volvo XC70 and asked me to reasearch it after her transmission fell through the roof. Upon doing a quick search, I was mollified with what I found. It seems to me that the 2002 XC70 has a notorious reputation for being a problem car, especially with the transmission. The car has 137k miles on it and she wants to know whether or not it is worth fixing.

Thanks in advance,

ACL
    Japanese Gulch Systems

EDIT:The failing transmission was not caused by a technician error as mentioned in the stickied thread.
    Last edited by JGS; 03-03-2012 at 06:45 PM.

Almost as bad as an 01.
    Worth buying a new transmission?
    Depends on how nice the rest of the XC is and how much she likes it and if that's all it needs

Thanks for the reply, first of all, what do you mean by almost as bad as an 01. Secondly, her main concern is whether or not it will fail again or not. She doesn't want to replacing it a 2nd time.

01 was the first year and had the bad "stop neutral" software (do some research) which annialated the trannies, but 02s still have the same poorly designed valvebodies.
    03's and newer have the newer upgraded valvebodies.

Will it fail, probably not if she changes the fluid every 30,000 miles

Thank you very much for the swift reply, I will endeavor to do some more research.

A friend of mine has a 2000 with 300k+ on it. It seems from the info in this thread that the 01 and 02 models don't have that same expected longevity, which is a bummer. Better to find out now rather than later though!

Thanks for the info JRL

E

My '02 V70XC 5AT Geartronic show signs of lag when shifting from R to D. Occasionally it jerks too when the gear engages. The tranny oil replacement and updated ETM software doesn't help much. The mileage was about 70k miles. This is a well maintained car with full service history.

So off it went to the indie Volvo garage. The valve body was the culprit and the inspection confirmed it. So it was duly replaced with the updated design that was fitted to '03 Volvo onward and have the other items checked and inspected too. Good thing the extended warranty take care most of the bills. Does not cover consumables like oil but that's ok. Now running as good as new and so smooth.
    DC

2002 V70XC - Polarartic/Oak, ESR, 5AT Geartronic, leather package, factory towing kit, tinted windows and screens, tracker, sunglass holder, center console cup holder, nylon cargo barrier, luggage net, Ipod connectivity, R instrument gauges 150k kms to date