Default tow hitch- nonfactory

HI! the volvo dealorship wants $1000 to put on a volvo tow hitch for my 2011 xc70 but I was told that uhaul can do this too. I am a little concerned that having uhaul do it may void some warrantee and leave me hanging- does anyone have any experience with this- I live in New Orleans and ever since Katrina I don't want to be without a hitch, I also use it for my bicycle rack as well so it also serves a practical purpose as well. Thanks!

I have Volvo factory hitches on all my 2003 and 2011 XC70.
    They are engineered for the vehicle and installed correctly by the dealer. No problems.
    I would spend the money.-Dick
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S

Default trailer hitch

I bought a Volvo hitch for my XC60 online and had Uhaul install it. Hitch was around $200 and the install was $60. It's for my bike rack, so I didn't have it wired.

Plenty of us have the Draw-Tite aftermarket hitch and it works beautifully and involved a lot less cutting of the bumper. I had mine put on in 2009 and as I recall, it was less than $500. It is a Class III hitch with a full 2" receiver and is wired. I just have to turn off the parking alert system when I have the bike rack on the back. If you get it installed at the dealer, I believe when it is hooked up with an electrical connection, the volvo recognizes it and doesn't set off the parking alerts.
    But I had a factory one on my 2004 XC70. I found that the draw bar of my Yakima Swing Away rack was too long for the factory installed hitch receiver. I do not have that problem with the Draw-Tite. Either way, whatever works. I think UHaul is perfectly fine for hitch install. Mine was installed at a place called USA Hitch which only did hitches for cars and trucks. You might do a little more checking than just the local UHaul.
    2008 XC70 Black/Sandstone
    previous:
    2004 XC70 Crystal Green/Brown trade in @79K

Thanks for the timely post OKCXC70.

Just picked up my 2012 in the US last week (saving $11K over Canadian prices), and I'm getting a Drawtite class 3 hitch installed this afternoon.

Was a bit concerned about the bumper fascia removal and cutting, but looks like you wind up with a factory-like install.

Still worried they might damage the parking sensors in the process though.

Good tip about the sensors being set off by a bike rack - didn't think of that.

Greetings. I've just recently installed a Curtis Class III hitch on my V70, purchased off eBay from Trend Automotive. The hitch was a $105 including shipping. It was a fairly straight forward installation. I have not installed the wiring harness as the hitch is for a hitch carrier and bicycle carrier. The wiring for the parking sensor was easy to un plug. The hardest part was getting the rear body cover off but once you are able the seperate it from the body clips that hold it in place it was easy.

Lightbulb Check out Rigid Hitch's website

Quote Originally Posted by lavolvogal View Post
    HI! the volvo dealorship wants $1000 to put on a volvo tow hitch for my 2011 xc70 but I was told that uhaul can do this too. I am a little concerned that having uhaul do it may void some warrantee and leave me hanging- does anyone have any experience with this- I live in New Orleans and ever since Katrina I don't want to be without a hitch, I also use it for my bicycle rack as well so it also serves a practical purpose as well. Thanks!
    Check out Rigid Hitch's website:

http://www.rigidhitch.com/default.as...20guide%20view

Very easy to find the proper hitch for any vehicle---I've used them many times---twice for my XC70s.

I purchased the recommended DrawTite receiver (part #36297) and installed it in about an hour, using the four existing bolts.

Total cost including a draw bar and pin set and shipping via UPS to Eastpointe, MI was under $300.00. This does NOT include the factory wiring harness (a plug-and-play arrangement), which I got from my local Volvo dealer for about $80.00. On-line sources will undoubtedly be cheaper, if you're willing to do a little browsing.

My deceased '01 above.
    She gave up her life to save mine!

Jim Wickstrom, W1IK
    Owner, Chief Engineer
    Surge Performance Sound
    Eastpointe (Metro Detroit) MI
    2nd Owner '03 XC70
    Ash Gold/Beige, >145,000 mi.

Quote Originally Posted by higg View Post
    It was a fairly straight forward installation. I have not installed the wiring harness as the hitch is for a hitch carrier and bicycle carrier. The wiring for the parking sensor was easy to un plug. The hardest part was getting the rear body cover off but once you are able the seperate it from the body clips that hold it in place it was easy.
    Are those removal instructions available anywhere? How hard was the removal/replacement of the fascia and the rear sensors?

The hitch for my 2001 took me 20 minutes to install. The dealer said 4 hours for the 2010! (eTrailer only estimates 1:20 though)
    Current: 2010 XC70 T6 Caspian Blue/Grey

Previous: 2001 V70XC Nautic Blue/Grey 218K Volvo High Mileage Club,

Quote Originally Posted by slowflyer View Post
    Are those removal instructions available anywhere? How hard was the removal/replacement of the fascia and the rear sensors?

The hitch for my 2001 took me 20 minutes to install. The dealer said 4 hours for the 2010! (eTrailer only estimates 1:20 though)
    The hitch I installed was a curtis and their website had instructions but they were vague at best. The removal of the wrap around fascia is tricky. Start at one of the fender wells and make double sure you've removed ALL the screws. Some are hard to see in the lip of the fender well. Starting at the fender well pull the facia toward you(away from the car). It has flanges that fit in to molded in plastic channel. Once you get several of these tab/flanges unplugged from the body they unplug fairly easily. It gets sort of hard to manage, the more you get removed from the vehicle so some one to hold on to the loose end of the fascia as you unplug it will keep it from getting scratched. The lower fascia below the bumper camp off easily. All the parking sensors are wired on one harness which can be unplugged at passenger rear corner. Hope this helps!