Default folding front wipers?

2008 xc70 3.2

I went skiing for the first time this past weekend. On all other cars I have owned, after parking for the day, I fold the front wipers up and away from the glass so the rubber blades do not freeze to the glass. When I tried to do this, I could fold the passenger wiper away from the front glass, but the driver side will not fold up because the hood lip is in the way. I tried to run the wipers and then turn off the ignition so they were in a different position and that did not work either. I was surprised there was not a post about this. Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

I am also interested in recommendations on replacement wiper blades.

On page 229 of the owners manual for my 2010 XC70: "With the ignition switch in the off position, but with the key in the slot, move the right -hand lever to the up position and hold for one second. The wipers will move to the service position. When the car is started the wipers will return to the normal position."
    2010 XC70 3.2 Caper Green, PCC, BLIS, premium package, climate package.
    1998 V70XC 250K+, driven every day.
    1987 240DL wagon. Gone, but not forgotten.

Works perfect. Thank you very much. I also found it in my owners manual but it was not in the section on wiper operation. They had it in the section on wiper blade replacement (wipers are to be vertical before attempting to replace blades)!

Wow! It really worked my car's wipers were not moving to the service position. Thanks for sharing.