Post Oil Change Procedure 2008 XC70 3.2, with Visuals

I'm new to the forum, just having recently bought a 2008 XC70. It just hit 90,000 miles, so it just got it's 90k Maintenance per the published schedule. I'm amazed that this car is in such excellent shape, given the high miles. Not a drip of oil or fluid *anywhere* (well, okay, except for the all-too-common windshield washer fluid reservoir leak).

The oil change was somewhat trickier than what I'm used to to. In a past life I worked at Jiffy Lube, so that probably helped, but I realized that having a more visual description of the process would be helpful to others.

It's not all-encompassing, but anyone who's reasonably handy can pull it off. And please supplement these instructions with some common sense. Hope it serves useful! Note that I did not jack the car up at all, I just squeezed under the car as needed. Mobil 1 was my choice of lube.

Given the PDF File upload size limits, I have to upload this in 4 chunks.

Dave,
    That is a great set of illustrated instructions. I have always done my own oil changes, but with the oil/filter changes being done for free for the first 60K miles on my 2010 XC70, it will be another 3 years before I have to do it myself. I'll save your PDFs fo future reference. Thanks for sharing.
    2010 XC70 3.2 Caper Green, PCC, BLIS, premium package, climate package.
    1998 V70XC 250K+, driven every day.
    1987 240DL wagon. Gone, but not forgotten.

One thing, a very important thing: The oil filter when installed depresses and closes a drain valve. You first unscrew the oil filter cap all the way and assure the filter has lifted up so the old oil drains out of filter housing and is drained when the oil pan drain plug is removed as step #2. If this is not done until after oil pan is drained and plug re-installed then you just drained old oil into pan from the filter.

I've changed my own oil in my '10 three times so far and the filter change is always the worst. You won't get the filter canister top out with out removing the power steering reservoir entirely, but you shouldn't have to if you have small hands. I also have to cram myself under the car to get the rear-most torx screw from the belly pan; jacking the car up would help, but is not necessary.

Thanks for posting all of the detailed information. This weekend I'm planning to change the oil in my 2008 XC for the first time. Wish me luck

I'm about to do it myself for the first time. Thanks for the 4-part posting. Reconfirming: no crush washer for oil pan plug; oil filter comes with new o-ring; only the one big o-ring is required; don't need to fill the new filter mostly with oil before installing (because filter is mounted inversely from my earlier bottom mounts).

Not trying to start a big philosophy discussion, but what oil should I use?
    Slow Learner:
    '08 XC70 68K
    traded an '01 C70 conv 240K
    traded a '95 850 Turbo 220K
    traded a '87 740 Turbo 190K

Quote Originally Posted by janders99 View Post
    I'm about to do it myself for the first time. Thanks for the 4-part posting. Reconfirming: no crush washer for oil pan plug; oil filter comes with new o-ring; only the one big o-ring is required; don't need to fill the new filter mostly with oil before installing (because filter is mounted inversely from my earlier bottom mounts).

Not trying to start a big philosophy discussion, but what oil should I use?
    There is a crush washer for the oil pan drain plug. Replace it.
    Volvo oil filter (or OEM equivalent, MANN) should come with a new o ring. Non OEM types may not come with the o ring. I don't know as I use OEM or equivalent.
    Oil.....The best you can afford. Should be a recommendation in the owners manual. The better the oil the closer you can go to the Volvo service interval with no issues. I run synthetic now and don't go the full kilometer amount. I change oil at about 8,000 KM.
    Oil is cheap, engines are not.

sooo... have the pdf's been removed? Certain I used this for my previous oil change, but lost the hard and soft copies it seems. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see any attachments to OP.

HELP?

One more oil change tip: on my 2010 xc70 I pull the headlight assembly out (those 2 silver tabs) That gives lots more room to move the power steering reservoir out of the way but its still a pain.