Default Installed Custom Made Front Center Armrest in XC60

Hi Guys:

Well, the front center armrest in my 2011 XC60 drove me crazy! Too low and too far back. Could never use it as an armrest and was quite uncomfortable on longer journeys!

I checked out some 'accessory' type armrest extenders but didn't think much of any of them, so here's what I did.

I had my Volvo dealer remove the armrest and I took it to a local auto trim place. They added a top section to it, made of a wood base, with a new foam top and charcoal leather covering the new section. They added approximately 2 inches to the height of the original and about 4 1/2 inches to the length.

The new section is bolted onto the original armrest so, when I return the car at the end of the lease, I may have to buy a new original arm rest.

The dealer charged $50 to take out the armrest and I installed it back myself. I could have removed it myself had I known how easy it was, as just 6 clips hold the back frame in place but it is still a very fiddly job to do. Re-install was straightforward but time consuming.

Although the auto trim place did not make a perfect job, I am very pleased with the outcome. They charged $150, which is not cheap but, to me, well worth it.

The result is not as stylish as the original, with it's nicely curved top (the top is now straight), but I need comfort rather than style. Also, of course, I can now only use one cup holder as the new armrest blocks the rearmost cup holder.

Check out the pictures. The new section is a good (but not perfect) charcoal color match but it doesn't look like it on the pictures, taken with a cheap camera.

Regards - Roger
    Last edited by rogerdodger; 11-20-2011 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Wrong wording

almost looks factory!! nice $200 arm rest.....lol! its rediculous what dealerships (stealerships) and upholstry shops charge! you couldve bought a sewing machine and a sheet of vinyl and made one better for the same price!!!
    STOCK SUCKS

I currently am driving a 2010 XC60 T6 as a loaner from the dealership. Your complaint is spot on. It's the first thing I noticed when adjusting my seat. It's not level with the armrest on the driver's door. It's one of the things which is making me lean further towards the S60 instead of the XC60 as my next Volvo.
    Last edited by matt1122; 02-01-2012 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Fixed model year.
    2007 Volvo XC70 | Silver / Black | Premium & Climate Packages, Steel Cargo Barrier, Cargo Cover, Trailer Hitch, Parrot Bluetooth, USA SPEC iPod Adapter, 4-Way Pioneer Door Speakers

Default Installed Custom Made Front Center Armrest in XC60

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	volvop1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	5095
    I have found a very nice solution.
    An additional armrest to fit over the original one, without holes, screws or brackets.
    It is made in Italy by woodcompany.com
    Price from $120

Looks comfy