View Poll Results: Is it probably likely that the whole electronics is screwed?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep, most likely

0 0%
  • Not likely that the whole system is fried

2 100.00%
  • No way to know for sure from the info you provided

0 0%

Unhappy Car computer problems, Need Advice Urgently!

Hi,
    I recently had body work done on my xc70 after it was caught in a hail storm. Anyway the bodywork shop said they had to do some welding, but they had disconnected the battery.

Anyway the shortly after leaving the shop the abs, brake , and traction control light came on and the info center message read "brake failure stop immediately".

So I took my car in hoping that it was just some minor problem, but the technician told me the error codes were indicating that the body control module wasn't communicating with the ecm (or ecu). So they told me they would have to replace the body control module. After replacing it I got a call today and I was told that the ecu also appears to be faulty and needs to be replaced.

I am starting to think that somethings fishy since even though I just got the car in July, I have driven it without any sort of problems (other than having to get some mechanical work done but i knew about that before I bought the car).

Either the garage is screwing me over or the welding ****ed with electronics, or maybe i'm just really unlucky. What do you guys think? Anyone else have a lot of electronic compnents fail on their 2003 XC70?

Thanks for any help, I really appreciate it

Covered by insurance?
    Bring it back and have them finish (FIX) the car

yeah, i have comprehensive coverage on the car but i'm pretty sure the insurance won't pay for those repairs since they're mechanical (same thing what the autobody shop said). Also I don't think there is anyway I can prove that it was the autobody shops fault

Check this thread out:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...re-Stop-Safely

Hope it helps!
    2002 V70XC w/volvoXC.com stickers! MTE Stage 3+

Don't believe insurance doesn't cover mechanic issues. I know of someone who own a 2004 V70R who punched his radiator in a small accident, causing a big leak. Afterwards, the engine block got cracked after a short while. When the mechanic confirmed the engine damage was caused by the radiator leak, insurance picked the tab and replaced the engine with another one.

If issues started just after the bodyshop worked on your car, ask to get it fixed.

2000 Silver V70 XC SE - 153,000 miles and counting...
    Mostly stock - IPD HD TCV - IPD HD coils

I'm pretty sure the insurance won't accept that the hail caused the electric problems

Default Abs lights

The symptoms you observe are characteristic of a failed ABS CONTROL MODULE.
    Those symptoms usually include the following: Brake Failure, Stop ASAP; secondary mileage counter = "------" ,ABS red warning light on dash,;
    red "Brake" light on dash; DTSC light on dash; also at other times - Abs Brake service required; You appear to have most of these symptoms. Please advise if those are your complete symptoms. , You MUST inspect for (1) brake fluid is at the normal level and not low and (2) the vehicle brakes normally. If so, then the vehicle is drive able until you make the repair, it's just annoying. and realize that the ABS brakes are totally disabled.

If your symptoms are similar then the abs control module is failing due to poor soldering of the connections from the factory. Numerous people have experienced these symptoms, and these symptoms have nothing to do with a snow or hail storm or with the parts being replaced.
    Excessive engine compartment heat could have accelerated the parts early failure. But Re-soldering of the bad solder joints solves this problem. These are instructions & video regarding this DIY repair on other sites.

I hope that you did not pay for the repairs done as you described as I don't think they have anything to do with your problem. When the The abs module runs sporadic, it fails communicating to a ton of devices connected to it, including the cruise control, speed sensors, abs speed sensors, etc. Was the Check Engine Light turned on yet ? If not, it will sooner or later.

How did the repair shop diagnose the solutions ?

Please advise. Was the repair shop a dealer or just a repair shop ? It appears that your suspicions are accurate and I would not go there anymore.
    Last edited by volvo-user; 10-28-2011 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sinabd View Post
    I'm pretty sure the insurance won't accept that the hail caused the electric problems
    not your insurance, the shop has insurance for when they cause damage to vehicles they work on. that is the one who needs to pay out....yours does not need to know about it.
    1996 850 GLE (Gone)
    2001 XC70 (Gone)
    2005 S60R (Gone)
    2011 XC90 V8