Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 2004 XC70- Key Won't Turn

Weird... I drove the car earlier today without any problem, and then when trying to start it later in the day the key wouldn't turn past the first position. I've tried all the keys that I have (two regular and one valet), with the same result, so I know that it's not a problem with the key. Obviously the car won't start, and I can't shift out of park without the ignition turning to the second position. The owner's manual provides no help.

Has anyone experienced this before or have any idea what might be the problem?

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

There is a bulletin that addresses this very issue and it points towards a faulty ignition column lock. See attachment below.

I've very occasionally have had a similar issue. Even though the steering wheel is locked, by tugging on it, I have gotten the key to turn and started the car.

Art: thanks very much; the bulletin descibes my situation. I have printed out the attachment and will make it available to the dealer tomorrow.

Ozzie: the steering wheel lock isn't a problem; even if the wheel does lock, I can unlock it very easily, but the key still won't turn past the first position.

I'll post an update after the dealer has had a look.

Edited to add: is there any way to get the transmission out of park in the current condition, to make a tow a whole lot easier?

Not sure if this is any help either but when I removed my HU, with the key in the "0" and battery disconnected you can move the shift lever out of Park and into Neutral or whatever.

I do not know if this is really "changing gears" or just moving the gear shift lever..... I did not put the car in neutral and attempt to move the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
    Not sure if this is any help either but when I removed my HU, with the key in the "0" and battery disconnected you can move the shift lever out of Park and into Neutral or whatever.

I do not know if this is really "changing gears" or just moving the gear shift lever..... I did not put the car in neutral and attempt to move the car.
    The gear shift lever is physically connected to the transmission by a cable, so unless something is broken, moving the shift lever should mean that you are changing gears.

The first tow guy to show up this morning, after calling his boss when I informed him that the transmission was stuck in park, declined to load the car on the truck and left. I called the dealer and was put on the phone with a tech who explained how to remove the shift cable from its bracket at the transmission, so that the cable could then be manipulated to shift into neutral. I was unable to do as he suggested. Instead, I removed the bracket itself from the transmission housing (12mm bolts x 2) with the shift cable still attached, and was then able to move the cable and put the car in neutral. So, the shift lever still indicated "P" but the car rolled freely. One phone call and 90 minutes later and a flatbed tow truck was back in my driveway.

The dealer diagnosed a busted ignition lock cylinder, and it sounds like it's a fairly common problem. It's also very expensive to fix, as a locksmith must machine a new part to match the existing keys. I've been told that the whole process will take 3-5 business days. Fortunately, the dealer is good with loaner cars.

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by dcandmc
    The dealer diagnosed a busted ignition lock cylinder, and it sounds like it's a fairly common problem.
    ...and according to the bulletin, it's a problem that's not just limited to the XC70 (295) but extends through the entire P2 lineup.

S80 (184), XC90 (275), V70 (285) and S60 (384)

Still sitting in prep for an XC70 purchase but when I get one I'm definitely printing those instructions and keeping them w/ the appropriate tools permanently in the vehicle. Sounds like a fairly common problem that I would NOT want happening in an inopportune location!!

Wow, I wish that I had found that yesterday when I was searching the forum. My search skills suck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast